Episode 43: Giving Back to the World

On my way back to the hotel, I saw my brother's friend grumbling as he walked outside

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"Oh, your Elliot's sister, right?" he asked.

I nodded. "Yeah."

"Great, can you give this to Elliot?" he said, handing me a note.

"What's this?" I asked.

"It's a list of items I need him to get. I thought about slipping it under the door, but he would likely miss it."

"He's still asleep?"

He nodded. "Yeah. Seems like it." He laughed. "Not that it's unusual. He did that all the time during weekends back at school."

I snickered. "Seems I'll need to push him out of bed then. Don't worry, I'll get this to him!" I said, running past Alex.

"Thanks," he said as the door of the hotel closed between us.

I stopped at the center of the lobby. Maybe I should let Elliot rest some more. He must be tired from training with Wanikiya. Not to mention the battle against that Hiearchian general.

I sighed and turned around. As I was about to head out, I heard a muffled yawn behind me.

"Morning, sis." Standing behind me was a sleepy Elliot.

"You're awake!"

He scratched his stomach. "Yeah. I heard Alex knocking on the door, but I couldn't force myself awake in time to open the door. Have you seen him?"

"Yeah." I held the note Alex had handed me a moment earlier. "He wanted to give you this."

He took it and opened it up. "Ingredients for a cake?"

"Huh?" I said, going around him to get a closer look. Indeed, the list was a recipe.

"I thought they were materials to help restore the world where you went for high school."

"Yeah, I expected it to be that or something regarding Olivia and the others' situation."

I raised an eyebrow as I noticed a part of the paper was still folded. Grabbing it, I pulled it down, revealing two sentences.

'I know that I don't usually ask for favors, but could you get me these ingredients? I need them for my younger sister's birthday, which is coming up soon.'

"Ahh, that's so sweet," I said. "He wants to surprise his sister."

"I better get started on gathering the ingredients then," he said, slipping the letter into the pockets of his pants. "So, did you need something?"

"I was going to invite you to come with us in search of Wanikiya's familiar."

"Oh, I think I can do that."