Special 2: Light-show

*Nyima*

[A decade prior to the main story]

"Rise and shine, kiddo!" Papa called out.

Sunlight struck my eyes as soon as I opened them, partially blinding me. I turned toward the window. Standing there was a tall, cyan-haired man dressed in a plain white dress shirt.

"But it's the weekend," I muttered, rubbing my eyes.

"True, but it's unhealthy for a young girl like you to spend all day sleeping. Now, up. Breakfast is waiting for you."

"Okay," I said begrudgingly as I picked up Ms. Cone. Ms. Cone was my plush bunny. Papa gave it to me the day I was born. Not sure why he likes bunnies a lot, but it rubbed off on me.

Papa walked over and patted me on the head. "I made your favorite dish today."

"Wah? Really?" I swung my arms around his waist as soon as he nodded his head. "Thanks, Papa! You're the best!"

He snickered. "You aren't just saying that because I made carrots with egg, are you?"

"No, of course not!" I said, blushing.

Papa ruffled my hair and chuckled. "Good! Once you're done eating, you can go out and play. Just be sure to look both ways!"

I giggled. "Okay! Uh, what will Papa do? Still looking for work?"

He took a deep breath. "Yeah." He patted my head again. "But don't worry about it. I'm sure I'll find one! Luckily, your mommy earns enough for us to live relatively well."

I smiled. "Yeah, Mommy is awesome!"

Papa nodded. "She is."

I hugged Ms. Buns. "Though, I wish that she weren't so busy. I was hoping she could teach me more light magic." I pulled my plushie's hand up to my face. "And play together."

Papa went around me and knelt in front of me. "I do too, sweetheart, but lately she's been getting a lot of clients. Tell you what, once she has free time, we can go play at the beach and build sandcastles like we used to. Do you like that idea?"

I smiled and nodded. "Yeah!"

Papa smiled back and poked the tip of my nose. "That's my adorable bunny!"

I giggled.

He stood up. "Now, let's go before your food gets cold!"

"Oh yeah!" I yelled, rushing past him.

***

I smiled as I put down my fork. "That was tasty!"

Papa reclined his face against his right hand and snickered. "Glad you did."

I jumped out of my seat. "Well, I'm off to see if my friend can play."

"I haven't seen that kid around lately. Is he alright?"

"He fell sick," I said, lowering my head. "I hope he's feeling better. If not, then maybe my magic can make him happy!"

He crossed his long fingers together. "You're really close, huh?"

"Of course! He's my best friend!"

Papa turned away and lowered his head.

I smiled. "Is Papa jealous?"

He waved his hand. "Not at all. It's good that you have made a close friend. I was actually starting to get worried."