Episode 92: Nymph And The Ogre

*Anastasia*

I panted and put down my injured husband. The water dripping from the cave's ceiling hit his forehead.

I reached for the stake to yank it out, but Mother stopped me.

"Careful. There might be barbs. Pulling it out rashly will hit him more."

Tears streamed my eyes. "What I do then? If I don't pull it out now, I won't be able to stop his bleeding."

Mother sighed. "If you pull it, he's going to bleed to death faster."

She had a point. But our options were limited without a medic or a metal mage around.

"P-pull it out," Ethan said, gritting his team. "I can take it."

"Are you sure?" I asked. I didn't want to hurt him.

He closed his eyes and let out a pained groan. "Yes."

I grasped the iron. It was cold to the touch. Iron, the weakness of fae like us. Ethan was lucky his leg wasn't bubbling.

Taking a deep breath, I slow started to pull it out.

***

[Years Ago]

"Hey, did you see the episode last night?" Lithdia asked as she sat down next to me.

I looked down at my food. "No. Hew got sick. Mom was gone, and Dad was mess. So I had to calm Dad down and care for my brother."

"Yikes. Why didn't you call me? I could've helped."

I snickered. "Not sure what another elementary kid would do."

Lithdia pouted. "I have experience."

"Oh, right. Your sister." It must've been hard to have a sibling that couldn't talk. Dealing with Hew having difficulty doing so for a day was bad enough.

Lithdia put a finger over her lip.

I flinched. "Sorry."

Only those related to the council members knew about her sister's situation. Should the fact that two of them had a mute child ever got out, it could cause turmoil. The people would see Lithdia's family as unfit to rule. Not to mention, her little sister would probably be put to death, if not the entire family.

Lith sighed and leaned back in her chair. "It's alright. I'm the one who brought it up."

"Hey! Fugly! You got me the wrong sandwich!" a boy yelled.

"S-sorry! They were out of avocado bread egg sandwiches!"

"Then why didn't you get in line sooner, huh?"

Lithdia and I turned to look at a red-haired boy in a blue shirt grasping a pudgy kid by the collar of his shirt.

Lithdia sighed. "Why is Bernard bullying a kid younger than him again?" She stood up. "Excuse me, Ana. I got to teach a bully a lesson."

I grabbed her by the arm. "Don't. If you do, you might make things worse on him."

Lithdia gritted her teeth. "Right."

My friend had a soft heart, just like my dad. They didn't seem to understand that the weak had to stand up for themselves. If they perished then that was on them for being unable to fend for themselves.

"Answer me instead of crying, Fugly or I'll make that face of yours uglier than it already is!"

A girl near Bernard chuckled. "I don't think that's possible, Bern. Kid's already hideous."