Episode 62: Trying His Best

As we followed Raul toward the palace, I saw a head pop out of a door

As we followed Raul toward the palace, I saw a head pop out of a door. It was Azure. He smiled and waved as soon as he noticed Serein. The kid jumped out and ran past his brother and Raul.

Serein ran over to him. The two kids bumped fists and elbows.

"When did they make such an elaborate greeting?" Iah asked.

"I think that they used it at the games," I said, smiling.

I stared at Azure. I thought about this when I first met him, and I still did... something about the kid felt familiar. Eerily so.

Azure smiled at me.

I placed a hand in the center of my chest. The abysmal's core was reacting again. What is it now?

I waited for a while, but there was no response.

I sighed. What did I expect? It hasn't talked to me in months. The first time had been in a dream. I'd found myself in a dark plain when a giant cat approached. It resembled a mix between a jaguar and a black house cat.

"Lei?" Shandian said, tagging on my shirt. "You okay? You're zoning out again."

I laughed. "I'm fine," I said while scratching my head. "It's just that this place brings back memories." It wasn't that long ago that Nyima and I came here to use its crystal to teleport home, and later when we used it to go to the games.

"We're going to leave you behind if you don't hurry up!" Yen yelled.

"Let's go, or we'll miss the start of Raul's match!" my brother said, pulling my arm.

I smiled. "Alright."

The two of us followed the others inside.

The room on the other side of the doors resembled the one where I had initially trained Koal and Solean before the games.

Shan and I sat down on the floor, getting a front-row view of the field.

Raul stood in the center, grinning at his opponent. "Hope that you've been practicing. Else this will be an easy win."

Hei scoffed. "Didn't I say that I was ready earlier?" He held his arms in front of him. "Barrier rise!"

A blue barrier suddenly rose from the black lines drawn around the field, forming a giant prism around the two.

The two boys jumped back. As Raul gathered winds into the palm of his hand, Hei formed a water whip.

Hei dashed toward my cousin and cracked his whip. Raul ducked his head and grinned as he threw the wind sphere that had formed in his palm at him.

"Ventis Orbis!" my cousin yelled at the top of his lungs.

Iah's cousin held out his hands and formed a water barrier. The orb of spinning winds drew the waters in it, tearing the barrier as if it were a piece of paper thrown into a blender.