Episode 52: Catacombs

From on top of a pine tree, I stared at a white palace surrounded by a giant silver fence

From on top of a pine tree, I stared at a white palace surrounded by a giant silver fence. The place was called 'The Hall of Roaring Waters'. Not long ago, it was the seat of the Seran monarchy. With the coup, it now served as the home for one of H.E.H.'s top figures. I hadn't been able to verify which one, as the person refused to step out.

I leaned my back against the trunk of the tree and sighed. Why did they have to pick a shut-in to oversee this place? It made killing them much more difficult.

I took out one of my needles and pointed it at the palace. Perhaps they had figured that the alliance would send in assassins. Not that I was tasked by them. I came all this way out of my own free-will, no penny would be going into my pocket. But I would have the sweet taste of revenge. Aida and her people would regret hurting Sarah and An.

My eyes widened as a ball of fire came my way. I jumped and watched as the top of the pine tree I had been sitting on was reduced into ashes. My eyes shifted toward the ground. Standing with a smirk on their face was a little boy.

Was he the one who fired that attack?

As if answering my question, the boy formed a sphere of fire on each hand and threw them in my direction.

I clicked my tongue. I hated fighting kids, but I wasn't above it either. I switched out my poison-laced needles for non-poison ones.

"You think you're tough, don't you?" I asked, grinning as I descended.

The kid smirked as he pressed his hands together, creating a giant fireball.

"Impressive, but how strong is it?" I asked as I landed outside of the palace grounds. Much to my surprise, there were no guards around. Were they truly going to let a kid do their job for them? If so, then perhaps I should've tried breaking into the palace long ago instead of waiting for their leader to come out.

The ball of red flames suddenly contracted and became bright blue. I could feel its heat from where I stood. I hadn't felt flames this hot since Zelde went on a rampage on the ship.

Tsk. I should've expected that even Hiearchian kids would be this strong.

I jumped back and threw invisible wires in his direction. Should he make a misstep, it would cost him heavily.

The boy smiled. "What did you just do?" he asked, raising his right hand. His eyes widened as he noticed blood sliding from his hand. The wire had sliced his pinky. If he had moved it more, he would've lost that figured. "Wires?"

I smiled and backed away. "Sorry, kid, but I have no time to play," I said as I took out a smoke bomb from my belt.

The boy threw his fireball at me, melting through my wire traps. I dropped the bomb and scurried out of there as fast as I could.

I watched from the safety of the forest as the kid stared at his cute. He winced. "Stupid spy. He should've at least thought of fleeing further." He grinned as he raised his hands at me and threw a pair of fireballs into the forest.