Episode 28: Alone No More

*An*

I opened my eyes and stared at a ceiling covered in bird carvings.

Where am I? This place doesn't look like my room or any other room in my house.

I stared at my arm, expecting there to be an iv drip like I had seen on television, but there was nothing there. Instead, a gentle green light pulsated around me.

I turned right and noticed that someone had placed a vase of flowers by my bedside. Who left those?

I pushed myself up, but my body ached. My already skinny arms were skinnier than before. It seemed that whatever was sustaining me couldn't nourish me all that well.

"This is Xian," Ying's voice rang in my head. After you entered a coma, Adela brought you here.

I smiled as I sat at the edge of the bed. That girl sure was helpful. Hopefully, my assumptions I spoke to Sarah about were right. If so, Hal should be done with the pill to restore Sarah's magic.

I need to go see him.

I raised my head as the door of the small room opened. It was Yanyu with a bouquet of fresh flowers. The flowers nearly slipped out of her hands as soon as she saw me.

"An!" she yelled, running over. She dropped the bouquet on the bed and spread out her arms as if to hug me, but stopped mid-way. "Are you feeling fine?"

I nodded my head slightly. I tried to open my lips, but they were too dry that my words came out as a hoarse whistle.

"I got water here," Yanyu said as she picked up a glass of water beside the vase. "Drink up."

I held my shaking hands out for it.

Yanyu held my hands around the glass. "Here, let me help you."

I gasped. Her touch, it was just like my sister's.

Hey, Ying. Were you using my sister's voice to get in contact with me?

"What? Why would I do that?"

I heard her calling my name. At first, I thought that she was calling me from the spirit world, but what if she were calling to me from this world? What if she's been beside me all this time?

I glanced up at Yanyu as she tilted her head. "Feeling better?

I nodded slightly. "Yes, sis."

"Sis? So you consider me a big sister? That's cute!" she said, giggling.

My face reddened. Had I misjudged Yanyu's identity?

I averted my gaze. "S-sorry. It's just that you remind me a lot of my big sister! S-so it sort of slipped out."

"Oh, so that's it," she said in a disappointed tone.

"You do act like a big sister. Guess that's what mislead me."

She chuckled as she put the now empty glass back on the nightstand. "It's okay. Do you wish to eat something?"

I rubbed my empty stomach. "Yeah, though I don't wish to intrude further. Adela's people helped me enough."

"They don't seem to mind. On the contrary, they see you as a hero."

I blinked. "A hero? Why?"

"Because of what you did at the games."

"Really?" I asked, lowering my eyes. "But what I did was stupid."

She chuckled. "Truth be told, the boundary between heroism and stupidity can be thin at points."