Episode 21: Meaning of Love

*Iah*

I stared up at my phone. I had called my parents, uncles and aunts, cousins, and everyone else I had the phone number of, even my exes, but none of them picked up the phone. Were cell towers in the capital not restored yet?

I sighed and pushed myself up from the bed I was laying on. There was no point in continuing to dial anyone right now. If it weren't for my dad's reassuring words... well thoughts, then I probably would've reverted into a nervous wreck.

Jumping to my feet, I made my way toward the door. I smiled as soon as I noticed the mirror.

"Looking good, Iah," I said as I adjusted the collar of my robe a little. A long dragon and clouds encircled the golden sky. I stretched my arms toward the ceiling. "Time to relax after a long day!"

I headed out and opened the door only to find a girl standing outside with her back against the wall. Her long deep-blue hair was let loose, allowing it to fall over her shoulders, which were covered in a shimmering sapphire fabric. The robe with rabbits embroidered all around it extended nearly all the way down to her feet. It was as if the one who had made it take taken her sizes when making it.

"Stop staring, perv!" Nyima snapped, turning away.

I gulped and raised a hand over my warm face. "Pardon. I was just admiring your robe. It seems that Lei's aunt has exquisite taste."

"Thanks. I like it too. Now, what took you so long?" she asked, glaring at me.

I laughed. "What? You were waiting for me all this time? I knew that you were in love with me!" I said, going in for a hug.

She groaned and thrust a hand against my face, pushing me away.

"Stop clowning around! I only came so that you wouldn't have to go alone. Plus, you were taking your sweet time, so I wanted to check to see if something was wrong."

I ran a hand through my longish blond hair. "I was trying to call my folks back home, but no one picked up. As for walking alone, I'm fine heading there by myself." I glanced at the two sides of the hallway. "Did Lei not accompany you?"

"He went on ahead with his little brother and mother," she responded.

I chuckled. "You should've gone with them instead of standing here until I got out."

She averted her gaze. "Yeah, but I don't wish to appear clingy."

I lowered my hand. "You shouldn't concern yourself too much about maintaining appearances. Life is more enjoyable when one is honest."

She raised an eyebrow at me and scoffed. "That's funny, coming from you."

Shivers ran down my spine. "What do you mean? I am honest!"

Nyima strode in front of me. "You don't think that I can see beyond your comedic exterior? Lei is the same way. Just because you're smiling doesn't make things better. Like I've told you before, if you have things you need to work through, know that I'm here for you."

"I know." I glanced up at the wooden ceiling. "It's just... reality is so much more painful. Especially when the one you like doesn't love you back." I bit my lip. Why did I let that slip?

Nyima looked away. "Well, I know the feeling."

My heart sank. Of course she did. Though, Lei might've liked her back. Or at least, he'd left room for feelings to grow. Their shared past helped rather than hindered.

I smiled and grabbed her hand and started running. "Let's go, the others are waiting!"

"Why are you two always doing this? You don't need to hold on to my hand!" Nyima snapped as she struggled to catch up.