Episode 3: Shameful Thoughts

As we continued on our journey, Serein's little phone suddenly rung

"Who is that?" Ocarina asked while maintaining her eyes on the road.

"Papa," Serein said, raising the phone to his ear. "Hello, Papa! Me, Serein!"

"I know that, silly dolphin," Eri's voice echoed. Serein must've put his phone on loud speaker for his mother to hear.

"Ask why he's calling," Ocarina whispered.

"Why is Papa calling?"

"Well, me and the others were thinking about driving northward instead of eastward. I realized while reviewing the map that we didn't really add it to our travels despite it having its own things to offer."

"I see," I said. "Sounds fine to me. How about all of you? You're the ones on the vacation here. I'm just the travel guide."

Nyima snickered. "A prince as a travel guide, quite the odd turn of events."

I chuckled. "I guess you can say that."

"I'm fine with it," Harmonica said.

"Same!" her youngest child said, grinning.

"Think we're all on board," Ocarina said. "Unless if you two want to go someplace else."

"Nah, I'm fine," Nyima said.

Serein nodded.

"Alright," Eri said, his voice full of joy. "See you, my little dolphin."

Serein giggled. "Bye, Papa!"

"And me?" Ocarina asked.

Eri snickered. "Bye, princess."

Her face reddened. "I told you not to call me that anymore."

I felt an odd sense of déjà vu start to swell up.

"Are there ancient ruins in the north?" Ocarina asked once Eri had hung up.

"There's ruins everywhere," I said, crossing my hands together. "This nation has existed since at least the time of the 1st Great Xeleria war."

"You aren't sure how old it is?" Nyima asked.

"There's debate about it. Most of the records we had from that time were burned down during the Daiju Coup."

"Daiju Coup?" Shandian asked.

"That's when the third Magus Maximus was dethroned by the fourth," Ocarina explained.