Episode 86: Intangible Monster

*Vermeil*

"Hal, Iah," I said, looking over my shoulder. A large pillar of wind tore through the clouds. This power, did it belong to the Hiearchian man that Noe mentioned?

I turned around and rushed toward it.

"Where are you going, Vermeil?" Rebecca snapped.

"I'm going to go assist your son and Iah. Look at that giant wind vortex!"

"I see it, but do you really think a bunch of high schoolers stand a chance against that? It's best for you to continue running. We can't have you risking your life."

I sighed. "Fine, but I at least have to take the boys out of that!"

She closed her eyes. "Hal will find a way out."

My hands curled into fists. "Maybe if he was at full health, but his eyes aren't good."

"Yeah..." Noe said.

Fan put her hands on the boy's shoulders. "Relax. If his mother thinks he'll be fine, we must believe he will. After all, that boy did manage to get past the Water Knights as well as the Hierarchians on different occasions."

"Yeah!" his big sister said, moving her arms up and down. "Remember, he brought Lady Sarah over to the orphanage before they went off to Wahkan to take the test!"

Noe smiled. "Oh, yeah."

I shook my head. "Something is telling me that this is different."

Rebecca sighed. "Look around."

My eyes scanned the forest and then the orphans and her. "Is there something I'm missing? I don't see Hal anywhere around here, so I don't think he teleported." I gasped. Wait, there were only the orphans, Fan, and two of her assistants. Where was the third one and her husband?

Hal's mom smiled. "Finally, noticed, huh? Like I said, the boys will be fine."

When did Emile and the other guy split off from the group? Could it have been during the explosions earlier? Regardless, hopefully they were able to reach the boys on time.

Rebecca narrowed her eyes and moved to the front of the group. "Vermeil, guard the rear!"

I formed a crystal wall behind me. Was someone or something coming straight at us?

The two orphanage caretakers moved toward the sides, gripping their makeshift weapons. Noe, Scarlet and the other kids whimpered and moved toward Fan.

"Relax kids. Don't panic, or else we might get split again. If we do, we'll be easy pickings."

Noe gritted his teeth. Water droplets floated out of his fingertips. "Must protect Scarlet and the others," he mumbled to himself.

"I know that you mean well, but don't try to play hero, kid," Rebecca said as she formed metal sword. "Leave this to us adults and the big kids."

"She's right!" Noe's older brother said as he covered him.

"Huh? But you have no powers!" Noe said.

"Nor do we," the caretaker on the right with lilac hair said. She smiled. "Yet, we'll protect you with our lives."

Fan grasped her blue necklace. It radiated a faint magical aura. Had Sarah or her brother given that to her as a failsafe should anything happen to the orphanage?

"Don't use that yet," Rebecca said as she jumped into the air. Metal wires sprouted out of each wrist and wrapped around the branches of trees several meters away. They retracted, pulling her into their branches. She raised her sword, deflecting something obscured by the branches.