Episode 127: Making Things Right

*Lithdia*

I sighed as our plane drew closer to home. I'd failed to save Gavin and Bernard had yet to recover completely from his injuries. We had departed Sera once we had secured the northern part. The remaining forces would attempt to push back the south.

I would've liked to have stayed and help out, but we were summoned here by the council. With Jianguo gone, they would have to appoint a new governor.

My eyes drifted to the quiet Delphine as she stared out of the window on her side. Even that snob was out of it.

"Cousin," Aida said.

"Yeah?" Delphine said, looking out.

"Think that we will get punished for failing a second time? I mean, me, Hew, and Ben."

The icy blonde turned her head lazily toward her. "Maybe. Uncle does hate failures. But, I do think that he overlooked yours because you're his daughter." She looked back at the window as we started descending. "However, he is likely to be as harsh on you as he will on me."

Aida curled up in her seat. "Maybe we're better off dying..."

"Aida," my brother said, reaching his good hand across the aisle.

His fiancée turned to look at him and gave him a tired smile. "Losers like us deserve to die, no?"

"Don't say that!" I snapped. "Don't let a setback like this hold you back. We might be a blend of the best genes that our nation has to offer, but we are still human! Mistakes will happen."

Delphine sighed. "We would've won our battle, if not for you."

I gasped. Ugh, she had a point there. If I hadn't gotten so desperate, she and Gavin probably could've plucked our weakened enemies. And the latter wouldn't have been taken prisoner. I had failed as a leader.

"Look at the bright side, we kept the bulk of Sera and are pushing our enemies back," Hew said with an awkward smile.

I couldn't help but smile back. Despite his heart not having been in the war, he still helped us. And now he was trying to cheer us up by claiming victory.

"True. In that sense, we did win," my brother said, smiling as we landed.

I stared at Nia as she slept against Hew's shoulder. If not for her, we might've lost it. Had that happened, Aida and my brother might've gone ahead and committed suicide as their failure to defeat Kyuu Seishin in the south would've lost us the war. Not that we didn't share part of the blame. In all likelihood, Delphine, Ethan, and I would've perished trying to fight off the Kyuu Seishinians.

I eyed Ethan and Ana as they continued to sleep, undisturbed. At least they were getting some rest. They would need the extra energy for when they reunite with their twins. Those two were as troublemaking as their uncle when he was little.

"We're here," I said, standing up.

Ana opened her eyes and sat up straight. "We're home already?"

Delphine scoffed. "You were out for pretty much the entire flight."

"I see," Ana said, rubbing her eyes. She reached a hand out to Ethan's, shaking him. "Wake up, we're home."

"I got you now!" Ethan yelled, thrusting his arms forward. If I was still sitting down, I would've been crushed.

"What's wrong with him?" Delphine said, backing away.

Ana laughed. "He must be half asleep. Probably thinking of the twins."

Ethan pulled his arms back. "Sorry Lith, as soon as Ana said 'home', I sprung back into dad-mode," he said, yawning.

Delphine shook her head. "Feel bad for those kids. Not only are they probably ugly, they have a father who can't even control his own strength."