Episode 15: Distressed

*Iah*

[Western Territory, Mina]

Nyima, Serein, Hikaru, Mithril, and I joined Eri in the car for our journey into town. Meanwhile, the triplets, Yuzuki, and Sarah (who along with Kun was still asleep when departing) accompanied Feng in the van.

When we were arrived, we were treated to a pretty calm sight. Most of the mid-sized town was actually pretty empty.

"Where's everyone?" Nyima asked, staring at the empty streets.

"They're probably remaining inside their homes," Mithril said as he pressed his head against a window.

"It doesn't seem like anything chaotic happened here, so that's good," Hikaru said.

Serein who was in Nyima's lap nodded. "But, but where's Mama, Shan, and others?" he asked.

I rubbed my chin. "I think that they might be in the center of town."

"Why there?" Hikaru asked, looking over his shoulder at me.

"It tends to be where people gather. In the old days, it's where one would hear public announcements."

"Indeed," Eri said.

"Maybe that is where everyone is," Mithril said with a hopeful smile.

Eri chuckled as he noticed Feng curve left. "Seems that someone else thought the same thing."

"My guess is Lei," I said.

"Or Feng."

"Smoke!" Serein said, pointing at a steady stream of smoke rising into the air.

"It's coming from the direction of the town square too," Mithril said.

"Based on its coloration, I don't think we should be alarmed," Eri said. "If it were thick black smoke, then I would be worried."

"Then my guess is that it has something to do our friends," I said.

"Well, Zelde has fire magic at her disposal. I guess that they could be making a fire to help everyone stay warm," Nyima said, looking straight ahead.

I chuckled. "My thoughts exactly."

Serein sniffed the air. "Smell good," he said. "Like Mommy cooking."

Eri smiled. "Indeed it does."

"Smells similar to Lei's broth," Nyima said. "Then again, he did say that his recipe was one from Rios."

The mouthwatering scent got stronger and stronger the closer we got to the center of town.

"Me hungry," Serein mumbled as he rubbed his belly.

"Don't you got pancakes left?" I asked.

He shook his head. "Me ate them all while waiting."

Hikaru laughed. "Told you to eat them over time."

His nephew lowered his head. "Me was hungry..."

"Don't worry, we'll be eating soon enough," Eri said. "If they don't have something prepared for us, then we can always whip something up ourselves."

Serein smiled. "Blueberry pancakes?"

"Sure, assuming we can get all of the ingredients."

"I'm certain that you'll be able to," Mithril said. He gasped. "Wait, if the power is out then..." He gulped. "Oh no... our food supply..."

"Good thing it's rather cool here," Nyima said. She smiled. "Plus, Wanikiya went with Zelde and the others. He can be used to keep all the fridges nice and cold."