Special #4: A Special day for Mama!

*Lei*

[Four months ago]

"Hmm," I said, staring at the catalog in my hands. What should I get Mama for Mother's Day? A mug? No, I got her that two years ago. Hmm, maybe a new vase? I did break one back when I was a kid. It would double as making up for it.

"What's wrong?" Mama asked. I turned my eyes toward the right and saw her looking over my shoulder.

I quickly closed the catalog. "Oh, nothing!" I said, laughing forcefully.

Mama sighed. "You've been acting weird lately, well more than usual."

I lowered my head. Being called weird by Yen was one thing, but by my own mom? That was just too much!

Mama laughed. "Let me guess, you're looking to give me a gift?"

I gulped. "N-no! I was just thinking of what to buy for Father's Day."

Mama sighed. Her purple eyes leered at me. "I see." She chuckled. "Then I hope that's because you already got something for me, right?"

I nodded my head. Oh no, she can see right through me! Yen should've been in charge of the gift this year, not me!

Mama giggled. "Just kidding!" She stepped forward and patted my head. "Having you here is enough of a gift for me, my littlest triplet."

I lowered my head. I shouldn't have lied like that to her. A good son doesn't lie... especially to his own mom.

Mama patted my head. "There, there! Stop thinking of what to get me and enjoy your break. You'll be going back to school in a few days. Seeing you sitting down, looking at a catalog isn't how I want you to spend what little time we have together right now."

I smiled. "Then how do you want to spend it?"

"Well, seeing you and your siblings have fun. You four are a joyful bunch!"

I smiled. "Well, my siblings are busy right now, so it's only me."

She smirked. "I can guess what those three and your father are up to. Though, usually you're the one who accompanies them."

Right, but this year Shandian wanted to help get everything for her celebration feast.

"Well then, how about you come with me to buy some flowers?"

"Flowers?" I asked, putting down the catalog on the kitchen table.

She nodded. "Yes. I want to plant some this year."

Flowers. That's so easy of a gift. Why didn't I think of that?

"Alright, I'll accompany you!" I said, grinning.

"Great! Wait here, I'm going to go get my sun hat!"

"Okay!"

I smiled as soon as she left the kitchen. Now was our chance! Hopefully the others had everything ready for the meal!

I pulled out my phone and sent Yen a quick text telling her to hurry back home and that Mama and I would be out shopping.

***

After Mama got her sun hat on, the two of us went to the local flower shop. The shop sold both cut flowers as well as potted ones.

Mama stared at a couple of roses. They were white and yellow.

"Want those?" I asked.

She shook her head. "I was just admiring them. They're beautiful, aren't they?"

I nodded. Though, for some reason those flowers reminded me of two people... but I couldn't recall who they were. I must've met them from before the incident which caused me to lose some of my memories.

Mama shifted her eyes away from them toward a couple of blue hydrangeas. "And these remind me of your aunt. I'm sure that she would love them. Maybe I should get her some."

"Let's just hope that my cousins didn't think of getting her some this year for Mother's Day."

"You think they did?" she asked.

I laughed. "I'm just teasing. Raul told me that they're taking her hiking."

"Hiking? Well, that must certainly surprise her. Hope that she enjoys it."

I smiled. "I'm sure that the kids and Eri will make sure of that!" Meanwhile, Dad, Yen, Kun, Shandian, and I will make sure you have a nice Mother's Day of your own too.

Mother nodded as she walked over to some white lilies. "You're probably right."

"Like those?" I asked.

"They're nice, but I prefer something blue."

I glanced back at the hydrangeas. Wonder if she would like some of those too?

I turned around to see if there were any more blue flowers.  My eyes landed on a couple of plants with small blossoms. If I recalled correctly, they were lilacs. Their bluish-purple color reminded me of my mom.

I jumped forward and picked one up. "Hey, Mom, I found one that's just like you!"

Mama turned her eyes toward me and smiled. "You truly have a good eye, son."

I grinned.

She snickered. "I love it!"

"I'll pay for it!"

Mama waved her hand. "Oh, no! You don't have to do that! I can pay it."

"No, I insist. Consider it a Mother's Day gift!"

She sighed but quickly smiled. "Alright."

I jumped up. "Yes!"

She giggled as she wrapped her arms around me. "Though, like I said, all I need is to have you around." 

I gasped as her eyes grew watery.

"Mom..."

She pulled away and wiped away the tears. "Sorry, son. It's just. I couldn't help but think of the day that you three were born again. I still remember how weak you were. Your hands were so fragile. And then, the day that Kun vanished and we all thought him to be dead." She sniffed. "I'm just glad that this year I'll have all four of your kids with me. I'm also glad to have your father with us."

I hugged her. "You're a real softy despite that stoic face you tend to put on, Mom!" I said, laughing.

She laughed. "I'm not stoic. You know that."

I grinned. "Yeah, but most people who meet you for the first time tend to think that. You got this noble vibe to you."

She chuckled. "Must be because I'm a princess. Anyway, let's hurry up. I want to see what your siblings and Feng prepared."

My smile vanished. Not nearly enough time had passed to give them a chance to finish the preparations.

"Uh, I think that we should go do something else. I know, we can watch a movie!"

Mom wiped away some lingering tears. "You aren't afraid to be seen going to the movies with your mom at your age?"

"Nah! I'm not embarrassed to be seen with my mom." I gave her another hug. "After all, I'm here because of you!"

She chuckled. "Ohh, Lei. You're so huggable, just like a teddy bear!"

I turned around as I heard some giggling from some other ladies around us. I shrugged and continued hugging her. On a normal day, I might let go and whistle away in embarrassment, but today was a special day!

**Solar Note: Hope that you enjoyed the special :). I made it shorter than I originally would've wanted, but I think it's also a nice point to end off things ^_^**