Episode 123: Break

Should I have gone after Nyima? Last time, talking to her worked

Should I have gone after Nyima? Last time, talking to her worked. But, she didn't seem as open to talk as she did last time.

I shook my head and hammered down a nail. After this, I'll go and check up on her. Maybe she'll be up for sparring. That way, we can both be ready to save Iah. I'm sure that Adela is doing the same.

"There," I said, nailing one last nail in. My older siblings and I were helping Papa fix the roof. When we got home, Shan found a leak in his room. Seemed that a storm passed through here while we were away. Part of me wondered if it was the remnant of the Magista induced storm that shut off power in Mina. Or if it formed after we dispersed it as a counter balance. Weather was pretty unpredictable, even for us mages who could control it.

Did my gales cause winds to die down or form in other parts of the world? That said, we couldn't stop using our magic all together for fear of causing disaster. Would be like a bird or even a butterfly not flapping its wings. If anything, it was proof that every action we took, no matter how tiny, could change the future a lot.

"Thanks, kids," Dad said, smiling as he put away the remaining shingles in a box.

"You're welcome," Yen said, smiling back. She flew into the air. "So, how about a reward?"

I narrowed my eyes at her. "Yen..."

Kun nodded. "Think Yen is right, how about a tasty treat?"

Dad smiled. "Alright. Let's go to the market and get you some ice cream."

"Yahoo!" my older siblings said.

I sighed. I liked ice cream too, but why did they have to badger Dad like that? We just came back from vacation, not to mention the cost of the roof repair. Maybe, I should've gotten a job during break to help pay for stuff. I still could try to find one at school. At least I would get a bit of spending money from helping with the test. I could give that to Dad and Mom.

"Did we hear ice cream?" Mom said as she carried Shandian on her shoulders.

"I want ice cream!" Shan said, waving his arm. "Ohh, Mom?"

"Yeah?" Mom said, looking up.

"Can I invite my cousins?"

"Sure! Sei said he would rush over here once his family was done unpacking anyway."

"Aunt Ocarina sure got a lot of stuff," Yen said, leaping down.

Kun laughed as he jumped down. "I can see Raul weeping that he wants to go and play."

"Reminds me of a certain guy whose name flipped spells Nuk," Yen said, smirking at him.

Our brother simply laughed. "Well, we are cousins!"

I chuckled. Kun really hated chores. He would often try to find a way to hand them over to either Yen or me. Usually it was me, but I did it to help Mom. Kun often left soapy residue behind, so Ma had to redo them.