Episode 121: Ramifications of War

"Oh, you're back," Aunt Grace said, smiling as she walked over to us

"Oh, you're back," Aunt Grace said, smiling as she walked over to us. She sighed. "Seems I was too late to catch Huang."

"You wished to speak to him? He wanted to return home as to not worry his kids any further," Xun said.

"That's surprising, given he usually prioritizes his job as Emperor."

"A parent will always be a parent," Uncle Kuángxiǎngqǔ said as he walked over with my little cousin on his back. "I'm sure that Huang does his job not just for the sake of his kids, but his country as well."

Xun smiled. "Uncle's right."

My aunt shrugged. "Well, you know him better than I do."

"Say, where is Celeste?" I asked, glancing around the lobby.

"I'm here, Ela!" a little girl yelled, rushing over. She jumped and tackled me, nearly knocking me over.

I smiled and patted her head. "I was only gone for a bit and you're so strong now."

Celeste looked up at me and grinned. "I know, huh?" She leapt off of me and pulled on my hand. "Come on, let's go play!"

My smile faded. "Sorry, Cel, but I can't. I have to do some things first. Also, I'm sorry to say, but I won't be staying for long."

"Have to go to school, huh?" Aunt asked.

I nodded. "Well, first I'll be heading to Wahkan to help with the exams."

Celeste pouted. "Phooey!"

Elliot laughed. "Come on, I'll play with you, little runt."

She turned around and ran over to him. "Yahoo! Cousin Eli is the best!"

I laughed. "Great, Eli is outshining me now."

Eli laughed as he pulled Celeste up by flexing his arms.

"Cousin is super strong! Will I be this strong one day too?"

I snorted. Celeste looked like a monkey, swinging on Eli's arm like that.

"Well, I leave you to enjoy your roughhousing. I will be in the study if you need me."

"Hmm?" Aunt said, raising an eyebrow at me.

I placed a hand on my chest. "Figured that I would try to do some work while I am here. Cannot leave everything to you."

She smiled. "It is no bother, if that is what you are thinking. But, go ahead. Once your graduate from school the year after this upcoming one, my time as regent will be over."

"Yes, that is why I should try to learn as much as I can while I am able to."

My aunt put a hand on my shoulder. She tilted her head slightly, giving me a solemn look. "Do not take too much upon your shoulders, Adela. Know that I am here for you. Enjoy these last two years to the fullest."