Episode 80: Female Friends

Eri smiled at Kun and walked back to the ring with his wife

He quickly went over what he had said earlier. "While prana armor is interesting in its own right, the main lesson here is prana control. Increasing the strength of one's prana coat is just one benefit. Others include being able to cast stronger spells, as well as more for less energy cost. The latter can be done by drawing out energy slowly, but that comes at the cost of casting time. A happy medium is ideal, but as one gets accustomed with the flow of their prana, it becomes a lot easier to do so slower."

A glob of water floating next to me shifted my attention over to Sarah. She held her hands out with her palms up as if catching water. In reality, the water came from them and took on the shape of irregular globs.

She gritted her teeth.

"Maintaining shape can be difficult with a bit of prana," Ocarina said as she crossed her arms. "Try increasing your output a little."

Sarah breathed deeply from her nose. The water blobs took on the shape of tiny flowers.

Sarah smiled. The water lilies continued to become detailed as time went on.

Ocarina smiled. "Beautiful, but at some point you lost practicality. Be frugal with your prana."

"Details cost prana, no wonder the ones based on the seven archangels burn up so much," Lei mumbled.

"Indeed, though those are worth the cost."

She stared at her hands and took another deep breaths. The princess thrust her hands forward, forming a giant bird woman.

"Are you trying to make a water angel?" Yen asked.

Sarah blushed and nodded.

"Don't worry, I can help you refine it," I said, smiling. It was the least I could do after worrying her earlier.

Sarah beamed at me.

I smiled back. It felt nice to have a close female friend. Prior to going to Nine Petal, I didn't really have any female friends. All my friends were guys, not that I had many to begin with. Truth be told, Lei was the only true friend I had. The others could be called acquaintances at best. Though, a good deal of them weren't looking for friendship. Thinking about it, Lei was probably the only true guy friend I had. Iah was like those other guys, while Yuta betrayed my trust.

To Iah's credit, I felt closer to him than I did any of those other guys. If only he had settled on friendship. His ex-girlfriend wasn't much different from my female classmate either. The words she used against me were all too common, but they still stung. My intention wasn't ever to draw the attention of those they liked. If anything, I wished those guys would have left me alone.

Well, Yuta hadn't actually betrayed me, but he did choose his twin brother over me by aiding the masked ones. He was a good and selfless guy. Part of me felt bad for him. It wasn't his fault Yuto got mixed into a bad crowd. If he truly cared for his brother, he should've turned him and his friends in before they got a chance to hurt us and themselves. That's what I would've done in his situation. But maybe he wasn't unaware of everything Yuto was doing until it was too late. Or perhaps, I was simply making excuses.