Episode 10: Pushing Through

*Adela*

I took a deep breath and flew back. I glanced at the sky. The object was still traveling at its reduced speed but had moved into range of the Minese capital.

Elliot freed his fists from the general's grip and unleashed a fury of blows in various directions. It was hard to keep up with where he was and wasn't as after-images kept on appearing and disappearing.

"I'd never seen Elliot move this fast before," Xun muttered. "His power, what is its ceiling?"

I stared at the woman. She didn't appear to be having too difficult a time keeping up. Fighting an experienced adult mage was different than fighting a high schooler. Even Kitsune had to be taken care of by the adults. If only one of them was here...

My big brother snickered. "Have you forgotten that an adult is here?" he asked as he held out his hands. "Elliot, move aside!"

Elliot jumped away, landing next to me in an instant.

A triangular prism of green-light fired off of my oldest brother's hands but the lady in red simply pulled out the pin in her hair and swiped the air in a circular formation. A crystalline-barrier appeared in front of her and deflected the beam of light back at my brother.

Xun held his hands out and spread out the energy before it could touch him. He slapped the air, sending the green energy flowing back at the woman.

The H.E.H. general moved her pin around, forming different shapes with her strokes. A star-shaped extension formed on her existing barrier.

My brother snickered as the energy spread outward. He faded from view.

The woman spun around and drew more circles in the air.

She gasped as a snapping sound echoed behind her. She turned and saw Elliot holding shards of crystal in his hands.

That power of hers, it's different than Vermeil and Haroun's crystal magic...

The general blocked Elliot's fist with one hand while twirling her pin around in a spiral motion.

I gasped as rope appeared out of thin air and grasped my brother's arm, constricting around it like a viper on its prey.

Elliot let out a primordial growl as he flailed his ensnared arm in the air.

"Elli!" I yelled. I rushed over to him but the lady appeared in front of me before vanishing once more. Where did she...

I gulped as the back of my helmet snapped upon being elbowed by her. I unleashed a storm of leaves behind me and turned the back of my armor into spikes to push her away.

"Not bad," she said before igniting my leaves on fire.

My eyes widened as the flames drew me in. The image of a wave of darkness flashed through my head.

I covered my eyes with my hands. "No, make it stop! Stop!"

The darkness continued. Its tendrils seemed to reach out toward me, grabbing me by the arms and legs. Then another reached out and yanked me by the neck.

"Let go of me!" I screamed.

"Gah!" Elliot yelled. "Adela... out."

"So the brute can still speak even when enraged, interesting," the general said.

"Elli?" I muttered, the darkness now gone. I moved my hands slightly away from my eyes but soon wished I hadn't as the flames continued to dance around us. I whimpered. Why did she have to be a fire mage?