Episode 33: An Old Friend

The blue of the sea grew darker as I moved the bubble deeper into the sea

The blue of the sea grew darker as I moved the bubble deeper into the sea. There was still no sign of whatever could've frightened the schools of fish we had seen. Perhaps, they were the predators instead of the prey after all.

"I think that we've gone deep enough," Hikaru said, glancing up. The sun's rays barely made it here.

"Are you scared of the darkness?" Yen asked, grinning.

"I'm not!" he said, blushing as Yen nudged him.

Kun eyes the distant light. The middle triplet sighed. "The darkness isn't scary itself, but it does hide frightening stuff beyond its veil."

I crossed my hands and placed them on my lap. "That's true. The shroud of darkness holds vast secrets, many which will scare most people, or even drive into madness. The realm those beings are from is an example. Peer into it for long, and you'll become a part of it."

Lei gasped. "You mean the abyss?"

I nodded. "Yes. It's why I fear you getting close to that abysmal residing within you. They're mysterious beings whose aim is chaos."

Lei lowered his head. "Chaos, huh?"

"That's not to say that they're all bad," Adela said. "I met good abysmals, then again, they were hybrids. They didn't behave anything like the bestial creatures we fought."

I gasped. "Hybrids? Like Lei currently is?"

She shook her head. "No. Rather, a relative who is an abysmal."

My jaw dropped. Though, it wasn't out of the realm of possibility. It was said that the strongest abysmals could take on a form resembling our own. But why would they mate with beings from other worlds if their aim was to destroy said places?

"Adela is right," Kun said as he gradually turned his head toward Hikaru. "Not all of them are bad people."

"What's wrong?" Hikaru asked, glancing back at his friend.

Kun smiled and shook his head. "I was just thinking of someone."

The space-mage tilted his head at his friend. "Hmm? Who?"

The middle triplet laughed. "I forgot."

Yen leered at her brother. "How unreliable of you."

"What do you mean? I'm very reliable! Right, Sarah?"

Sarah smiled slightly and shook her hand.

"Only a bit?" Kun asked, eyes wide.

Yen chuckled. "See?"

The middle triplet's shoulders sunk. "Y-yeah..."

"I find you reliable," Lei said, smiling.

Kun glanced up and smiled at his brother. "Thanks, Lei."