Episode 91: Prickly

*Rebecca*

I placed a hand on Dai-Huan's side. His breathing had become pained.

"Will he alright?" King Qing-Yuan said.

His sister grasped his hands tightly. Prana flowed into his hand.

"Hmm? What are you doing?" I asked. "Wouldn't applying it directly to the wound be a better idea?"

She didn't answer me, keeping her focus on her task. Much to my surprise, the bruise mark shrunk with the more prana she gifted him.

Could she have been getting to the source of his internal bleeding?

The hairs on the back of my head rose. That feeling I felt earlier had returned. Hal, he was in trouble.

I stood up. "I leave your brother in your capable hands. I'm going to go check up on something real quick. Be right back!"

The girl nodded. "Alright. Hopefully, it won't take me much longer."

"I'll go catch up with Fan and the others, if that's alright with you," Qing-Yuan said.

"It's not an issue, but stay safe, Your Majesty."

I turned my back to them and ran in the direction the intense gale from earlier had come from. Could Emile have fallen? No, I shouldn't rush to such pessimistic assumptions. Realistically, things couldn't have been much better for the boys than what we faced.

It didn't take long for me to reach the clearing which laid on the other side of a ring of trees. A tall green-haired young man walked slowly toward Hal, a white-haired Emile, and a bus-sized serpent.

Is that the same snake we found found with Hal? How is he so big despite Hal's current state? Wait, Emile. He must've transferred some of his prana to Beithir.

A gash streaked my husband's chest. It seemed it went deep, but wasn't bleeding as much as one would expect. Emile must've only had time to heal it partially. He's lucky that it hadn't ruptured open again, else he might've bled to death. Still, it seemed he'd lost a great deal of it. Maybe the only thing keeping him up was that burst mode of his.

I rushed at the man and threw multiple needles at him from afar. A circular water shield took the attack and deflected my needles back at me. I side stepped them and glared at the new arrivals. Or rather, old ones.

"You again," I said, narrowing my eyes at the two woman.

"Dear!" the young man said, leaping over to Anastasia. He held her in his arms.

That was the man that Noe was referring to? He looked more like an oni than an ogre. Nor was he necessarily ugly.

"Ethan, it's best that we retreat," Anastasia's mother said as she kept her eyes on me.

I gritted my teeth. With Emile in the state he was in, and the Shui out of the vicinity, I had little choice but to stand down. Attacking them would be a waste of precious prana, seeing how they couldn't be hit by tangible attacks.

"Alright, but let me finish them off," Ethan said, eying Emile, Hal, and Beither.

I warped in front of my family. "You will have to go through me first!" I yelled as metal coiled around my arm. "Metallum Draco!" 

Ethan fell back as the dragon rushed at him. He raised his axe, shielding himself as my dragon came at him.

I channeled some more prana into the dragon, causing its teeth to become sharper and more durable.