Episode 88: War Plan

*Hew*

[Hours Earlier]

I rushed toward the source of the quakes. Why did my sister's unit have to be here?

What excuse do I come up with? Knowing Ana, she's going to tell me that I'm not doing my job and take over. No, she likely already was if she and the others were here.

I halted and turned around as the muddy water under my feet shook again. This time, it was coming from behind me. Had Hal and those from Nia's orphanage fallen into the trap of one of the creatures here?

This was bad. I had to go back and help them! But, then the Baraggan three would catch up. Ana, Ethan, and Lithdia were worse than any beast that could possibly live here.

I yanked on the water to keep Hal and the others from being crushed by the waves forming on their side. It was the least I could do. Hopefully, they would survive. Otherwise, Nia might hate me for leading them to their deaths.

"Well, well. I was wondering where you had gone," a voice called out.

I gasped as a watery figure rushed past me.

"Why aren't you with Benny and Aida?" the watery figure asked. Her body became solid, revealing a blue haired woman dressed in a blue and purple spandex suit.

The tall, muscular man behind her crossed his arms and scoffed. "It's clear he plans to take all the glory for himself." He let out a hearty laugh. "Just be sure not to bite more than you can chew, kid!"

I smiled nervously. "I'll keep that in mind, brother."

A red haired girl in crimson and gold armor stepped forward. "I felt you close to the enemy. Why did you go this way?"

I gulped.

Ana tilted her head. "Wait, you let the enemy slip through your fingers?"

I turned my head away. "A beast of some kind attacked them. They should be dead or will be soon," I said, scoffing.

Lithdia sighed. "You should've kept an eye on them to make sure the beast did your job for you." She glanced at Ethan. "Go and make sure they're dead."

My brother-in-law grinned. "No need to asked, was planning to." He jumped into the air and flew away.

My sister pushed her hair out of her ear. "I better go too."

"Sounds good. I feel multiple creatures splitting off. I take it it's the rebels."

Ana crackled her fingers and smiled. "Don't worry. I'll pluck them one by one."

Darn it. Hal, hurry up and get the kids away!

"I better get going too," I said, turning around. Maybe I would be able to save some of the kids.

My eyes widened as a slim hand grasped my arm.

"No. Let your sister and brother-in-law handle this. I want you to do something else."

"What's the mission?" I asked.

She let go of my hand. "My brother will brief you on it once you return to the capital."

I had no idea that Aida and Ben had arrived until now. I'd arrived ahead of them to aid the shock troops. It gave me the chance to sneak away the orphans ahead of the conflict.

"Alright," I said, walking past her.

Lithdia snickered. "Don't think you pulled a blind one over us, Hew. You're better than this. You wouldn't let the enemy slip away." She lowered her head. "I don't want to have to kill you. So don't do anything else. Letting your feelings for Nia take you astray will lead to ruin."