Episode 55: I'll Protect His Gentle Smile

"Lei," I said as we flew over the highway

"Yeah?" he asked, turning to look at me.

"Why didn't you tie that guy back there up? What if he causes issues for us in the future?"

He smiled. "I already said that he likely won't."

Elliot scratched his head. "How can you be so sure, buddy? Can you read minds like Alex?"

"No, he said that it was a gut feeling," I said.

"Yeah. Though, I am also counting on my words to change him," Lei said, grinning.

I furrowed my brow. "Change him?"

"Yeah. I've seen it happen in manga before. I'm hoping that the same thing will happen, or that he will at least reconsider his life's path going forward."

"Lei, this isn't a manga nor an anime, this is reality."

"Really? I thought that this was a book," Elliot said, chuckling.

Lei laughed. "I thought it was a cd drama."

I narrowed my eyes at the two. "This is no time for sarcastic remarks. If that guy returns to attack you again, what will you do?"

"Then I'll do what I didn't, take him out," Lei said, summoning his butterfly knives.

Elliot laughed nervously. "You're a scary guy, Lei."

He laughed. "Same goes to you."

I nodded. "You both are."

Lei and Elliot snickered. "What about you?" Lei asked, flying in front of me. "You're frightening when angered."

My cheeks reddened. I was glad that he wasn't around to have seen when I nearly killed Yoko and Nobuyuki at the beach. Then he would know just how genuinely frightening I was.

"Well, let's hope that your plan works out," I said, trying to change the subject back to the original topic.

"I have a good feeling about it!" Lei said with a hopeful smile.

How he could be so full of warmth was really amazing. It almost made me forget that dark side of him, the one that could kill without blinking an eye. Though he did it to defend me, whenever I thought about it, I got shivers.

Lei flew closer to me and poked my shoulder. "Are you okay?"

I gave him a tired smile. "Yeah, just a little sleepy."

He glanced at the rising sun. "Sorry for having woken you and the others up."

"It was actually Yen who woke us up with her screaming," Elliot said.

"Why didn't she and Kun come?" I asked.

"Adela flew out of the vehicle before either of them could. I told your dad and uncle that I would bring you two back," Elliot said. He grinned. "I mean, a responsible adult has to look out for you kids, right?"