Special #3- A Rose

My crimson eyes shifted back and forth across the long, wide corridor I found myself in

My crimson eyes shifted back and forth across the long, wide corridor I found myself in. Ruby carpet with golden embroidery covered the center of the hall's floor, leading to who knew where.

"What are you up to, sis?" a voice called out.

I jumped and saw Elliot standing beside me.

"Don't scare me!" I snapped, putting a hand on my hip.

He took a step back and chuckled. "Sorry, sis." He glanced back at the hall as several male attendants passed by, carrying jars. "Wonder what all of those are for."

I nodded. "That's what I'm wondering too. Wonder if it's wine."

"Maybe the adults are having a party tonight? Or it could be ceremonial. Probably that as Mom doesn't drink."

"Could just be for the guests." I glanced back at the multiple people walking and caught sight of a pink-haired boy dressed in long lilac robes. His features were slightly feminine. If he weren't my brother, I probably would've mistaken him for an actual girl.

"Why is Xun here?" I whispered.

"Not sure. Hey, Xun! What are you up to?" Elliot yelled, showing himself.

I pressed a hand against my face and sighed. Idiot!

"Oh, hey Elliot, Adela! What are you two doing here?" Xun asked as he made his way over to us. Like the others, he carried with him a large jar.

I peered inside and caught a glimpse of what looked to be water. Is that holy water? Why are they gathering so much of it for?

Elliot chuckled. "I was the one who asked first."

Xun gave him an impish grin. "True, but surely you know that sneaking around and spying on people are bad manners too. But, since I'm such a nice older brother, I'll overlook them."

Elliot gulped. "Alright. I came to see what was going on with those jars."

Big brother peered down at his jar. "This? It's for tonight."

"Is it holy water?" I asked.

"Nope. It's plain old water from the pond."

I lowered my head. "Oh..."

"Isn't all holy water normal water which has been blessed?" Elliot asked.

"Well, not all, but a lot of it is."

I raised my head at my eldest brother. "Is Mommy conducting the ceremony?"

"Yeah, but most of this water is for something else." He winked. "You'll see what I mean soon."

"Xun, what's the hold-up?" a voice called out. It was a boy with short black hair and tight-fitting blue robes.

"Sorry, I thought I saw a mouse!" he yelled, running over to join his peers. "Turned out to be my imagination."