Episode 16: Smiling in the Face of Tragedy

**Solar Note: Pardon if there's some typos in this, I'm not feeling all that well right now health-wise so I can't proof-read as much as I usually can. Still, I wanted to give you folks an update after seven days without one. Hope that you enjoy the chapter ^^. Please let me know your thoughts at the end; I enjoy hearing from you.**

*Nyima*

After Orichalcum joined us in the car, which had become uncomfortably crowded as a result, we continued on our way to the center of town. Feng's group had gone ahead of us, likely unconcerned that we would get lost. Though, I didn't blame him for thinking that as Eri had a good head on his shoulders.

"We're here," Eri said as he stopped at the car at the center of town which was lit by large torches.

As soon as Iah opened the car's door, I was hit even harder by the mouthwatering scent of boiled chicken, potatoes, and carrots in the air.

I jumped out of the car after him.

Like we'd predicted, the townspeople had gathered here. Many of them were spread out around a white-as-snow building with several white-tiger statues forming a path. But those were those who already had food in their hands. Those who had no bowl in their hands were lined up between the rows of tiger statues to go inside.

I eyed the nearest statue and approached it.

"Is this place a temple?" I asked, glancing at Iah.

The blond smiled. "Yup. It's a temple dedicated to The Goddess of the West, Baihu. There are a lot of temples like this one all throughout the Western Territory."

Eri stared at one of the statues. "Baihu... I heard that the founder of Wudi first made contact with a follower of hers."

"That's what the legends say. The white tiger, the first companion of the King of the Five Signs, a man descended from the Xian who had decided to create his own nation."

Eri nodded. "Right, the Great Schism."

Iah laughed dryly. "My arranged marriage with Adela was meant to repair that ancient schism."

"Wasn't that over ten-thousand years ago? Why even focus on trying to repair something that happened so long ago?"

Iah scratched his cheek. "Well, for the Xian and the Wudi, even long periods of time are meaningful. We do things with a thousand years in mind."

"No one can call you a shortsighted people," Eri said.

"A thousand years? Most people don't even get to live that long," I said, crossing my arms over my chest.

"My martial arts master is actually that old," Iah said, snickering.

My eyes widened. "He's a thousand? How is he even alive?"

He smiled and shrugged. "What can I say? The man is adept at surviving. He avoided most situations which would endanger his life, except for those in which he couldn't afford to turn a blind-eye."

"Wow, someone that old is bound to be a living record of historical knowledge!" Eri said, eyes glistening. He was starting to resemble his sons as well as his nephews-in-law.

I laughed. "You okay?"

Eri cleared his throat and straightened out. "I mean, I would like to meet this master of yours."

"I'll introduce you to him once we get to the east," Iah said, grinning.

It was good to see him in higher spirits again. Today had to have been an emotional roller-coaster for him. Hopefully, a nice hot bath in the hot springs would help carry any lingering worries away.