Episode 20: Tug of Memories

*Lei*

"Sorry about biting you," Raul said, holding his head down as we made our way back to the lobby.

I raised my right arm. The little scamp bit it in his struggle to escape my grip. While it was painful, it wasn't exactly a wrong move to pull. Plus, the wound had already healed thanks to the regenerative powers of the abysmal within me.

"Don't worry, it's fine," I said, laughing.

"Really? It looked like you were in a lot of pain there," Iah said.

"He was basically crying," Nyima said as she looked away. I swear she was trying to hide a chuckle...

"That's because it did hurt," I whispered.

Iah snickered. "Guess the kid really lives up to his name, huh?"

Raul grumbled.

I slowed down my pace and patted him on the head. "Don't beat yourself up about it. My challenge was only to escape, I didn't put any rules on what you couldn't do."

"You're lucky you got away with only a bite, it could've been worse," Eri said, laughing.

Serein blinked. "It could?"

His papa laughter turned nervous. "You don't want to know."

The little kid turned his head at him. "Hmm?"

I winced just imagining the alternative.

"That would be painful," Shandian muttered to himself.

"Yeah..." I said. Hmm? How did he understand what Eri meant while Serein didn't? "Wait, have you gotten hurt there before?"

"No, but I have heard big kids who play sports talk about avoiding getting hit there."

Serein sighed. "Me confused..."

Nyima cleared her throat. Her face was slightly red. "Can we change the subject?"

"Let's go see if your mommy got you your robe," Eri said, nudging Serein forward.

"She and the other ladies likely have found them, if there were any of the kind he and the rest of you wanted," Mithril said.

"Yay!" Shandian and Serein cheered.

Raul looked up as we arrived in the lobby. His frown was replaced by a tiny smile.

"Well, I'm going to go check into my room and change," Iah said as he waved good-bye. "I'll meet you in the hot springs later!"

"Alright!" I said, waving. I watched as he ran over to Orichalcum, who stood at the front of the lobby.

Wonder if my magic can overcome him. The guy says he sees me as a rival, but he's usually so lax. His confidence in his magic is really something.

I smiled. Though I will triumph over Iah! Even if my magic still ends up not being up to par, I have other ways to compensate!

"What are you all giddy about?" Nyima asked. I turned and saw she was leering at me.

"Oh, just thinking about my rematch with Iah!" I said, grinning.

"I would like to have one too."

"Against him or me?"

"Well, Iah. However, a match against you would be good too. Though, don't think you'll be able to pull what you did during our demonstration."

"You mean with the shield?"