Episode 100: Reunions and Separations

*Vermeil*

I opened my eyes and gasped. Mud surrounded the barrier I was in. There was no light coming in either, not even a smidget.

"Someone help!" children nearby screamed. 

"Hold on!" I yelled. "I'll get us out of here!"

"Vermeil? You're alright?" Fan yelled.

"Yes. Focus on calming the kids down. I'll take care of pushing us out of this muck."

What happened while I was out of it?

I rubbed my head. How tired was I to not have have awakened sooner? No, that didn't matter right now.

Hopefully that nap restored enough prana for me to get everyone out of here. Who knew how long Yanyu's barriers would last. But the fact that they were still up was a good sign that she was still alive and kicking. Not that I had much doubt, given how she'd given Lithdia a run for her money.

Slapping my face to wake myself up some more, I stepped toward the barrier, only to slide down. The ground beneath gave in like that? Were we transported to the marsh? I recalled hearing a voice telling me that I would be safer here as I was dosing off. So much for that...

I gritted my teeth, the dome flipped, striking something. Based on the screaming children, it was their barrier that mine had hit. Surprisingly, there was no explosion. Though, since both were made by Yanyu, it was probably safe to assume that was by design.

"Sorry!" I yelled, crawling up. Argh. This was awful. It was hard to see a thing down here. If not for the Amber clan's reflective light layer, I would've been completely blind. Our eyes were what made my clan rival the assassin families of Hoin, such as the Cantarella. 

The Cantarella's Burst Mode technique was meant to replicate the ability of our eyes as well as those of the Kyuu-Hyaku clan. Unfortunately for them, it wasn't without faults. Failing to perfectly replicate the abilities that the Kyuu-Hyaku's eyes granted them. Instead they had to settle for an increase in magical and physical strength and movement.

I sighed. Hal better not have used that technique again. Though, I wasn't holding my breath.

Taking several deep breaths, I held out my hands. Striking the barriers with my crystals could potentially produce an explosion. A platform would be best for that, it would at least even out the direction of the force. But could I make something big enough for both?

Well, as Lei loved to say, you won't know unless you try.

I channeled my prana to the ground and raised my arms up, or at least I assumed it was up based on the gravity.

The gem platform pushed us up, but I'd soon realized I'd messed up, not taking the movement of either barrier into account. We were sent flying into the air by the barrier pushing back against my magic.

"Wah!" the kids and their caretakers screamed. They tumbled around like the balls inside that children's toy that makes popping sounds whenever one moves it.

Both domes splashed into the mud, but at least we weren't underground anymore.

"Are we stuck here?" I asked, peering out.

"No, you're not," a familiar voice said. I turned and saw Yanyu standing on top of a log that appeared to be on top of other logs that had been exposed by the recoil of my little stunt. "Sorry it took me a while. Took me a while to track down my barriers. If not for them, I wouldn't have been able to find you."

I shook my head. "At least you're here."

Yanyu raised her hand and moved us closer to her. "Someone will be arriving soon. I would undo the barriers, but you might sink into the mud."