Episode 25: Unexpected Encounter

*Sarah*

Once we finished eating, we departed for the tip of the peninsula that the port city of Mu-kong was built on.

The van came to a stop at the end of a pier where we would board a boat. Though, it appeared it had yet to arrive as there were no passenger boats around. However, there was one in the distance sailing toward us.

"Here, let me help you," Kun said as he offered me a hand.

I held out my hand toward him but stopped myself from taking it. Was I relying too much on him? Even at school, I had done the same. One day, he might get tired of helping me.

Kun laughed as he took hold of my hand. "Feeling shy all of a sudden?"

His smile was like a brilliant star's light.

I smiled slightly despite the pain it brought.

"Woah," Kun said as soon as we were out. He was staring at the other side of the sea. A stretch of about nine miles at its shortest length. "Look, Sarah! There's Vandavale! Have you ever been there before?"

I shook my head. Brother had, but he never let me accompany him.

"Why hasn't a bridge been built here?" Yen asked as she eyed the blue waves dividing the two continents.

"The water is deeper than one would expect. Once you get a mile off of the coast here, there's a huge drop-off in elevation," Iah said.

"There is?"

Ocarina squatted down and touched the salty water. "He's right. There's a deep-sea trench at the center. It's the eastern edge of the same trench that lies between Wahkan and Mina."

Yen gasped. "Didn't think it extended up to here."

"There's also another reason that a bridge hasn't been built here since the time of the second Magus Maximus," Eri said as he stepped forward.

"Wait, so there was one at some point?" Yen asked.

Eri nodded. "Yes. The ruins of it are at the bottom of the trench itself. The construction method of it has been lost to the ages, though. I theorize it was made by water, metal, and earth mages, most of the latter coming from throughout the empire."

They must've been powerful mages if they used pillars at its center. The water pressure at the boundary between the continents was so high that even most submarines probably wouldn't survive the trip.

"Maybe we should rebuild it," Kun said.

Did Kun not realize the magnitude of the task, or was he just that confident?

"Maybe when you're older and studied architecture," Eri said. "After all, a structure needs to hold its own against the elements."

"Good point," Kun said.

Wait, does Kun want to be an architect?

"Looks like our boat is here," Iah said as the ship from earlier neared the pier.

Serein smiled. "Boat!"

"You really like riding on boats, don't you?" Eri asked as he picked up his youngest son.

"Me like boats!" he said, swinging his hands into the air.

Eri laughed. "They are nice."

My eyes widened as I recalled how Lei and company had been attacked en route to Mina before the opening of the games in Rios. With Aida having been spotted by Iah, there was a chance H.E.H. was plotting another attack on him.