Special #6: Pictures

I stared outside of the window of my room and sighed as I stared at the various high-rise buildings around us

I stared outside of the window of my room and sighed as I stared at the various high-rise buildings around us. We were still in Caelum, but it felt like we had moved into an entirely different city all together.

I missed the view of the beach from our front porch. Here, the scent of the sea breeze was weaker. Actually, the closest beach was almost an hour drive away. Not that it was physically far, just that this area was filled to the brim with traffic.

I turned toward the door as it opened.

"Hey, Ny. I brought you some sliced carrots," Papa said, smiling at me. Today was his day off from work. He had managed to find a new job, but it meant moving to this place.

I jumped out of my seat and walked over to him. "Thanks, Daddy," I said, smiling slightly.

Daddy furrowed his brow. "Are you mad at me?" he asked.

I shook my head. "No, I can't stay mad at you." I puffed my cheeks. "The one I'm mad at is that stupid Lei for not having come to say good-bye."

Daddy reached his hand out and patted my head. "Maybe he had other things to attend to."

"What could be more important that saying good-bye to a friend who is moving?" I snapped.

He sighed and let go of my head. "I'm not sure. But I don't think he would just leave you hanging like that." He turned away. "Though, if it weren't for me, you wouldn't have had to say good-bye in the first place."

I grumbled. "Maybe it was for the better. Plus, at least you got a job. I'll just need to make new, better friends."

Daddy crossed his arms. "I still think that you're being too harsh toward the boy, but okay."

"Hey, what are my favorite two people in the world doing?" a voice called out. Standing behind Papa was a woman with bright-red hair.

"Hey, Mommy. Daddy brought me some carrots. Want some?"

"Oh, sure," she said, squatting down to take a couple. She glanced up at Daddy. "What's with that long face, Ohanzee? Still feeling guilty?"

Daddy turned away from us. "How can I not?" he whispered.

She sighed as she stood up. "It's understandable, but living in a state of perpetual guilt is mentally degrading."

"You're the psychologist, how do I stop it?"

"Hmm, how about thinking about other things?" she said, walking over to him and sticking a carrot into his mouth. She then stuff his mouth with the rest of the carrots in her hands.

He coughed as he tried not to choke on the carrot. "Cut that out!" he said as soon as he finished swallowing them all.

She laughed. "Always so serious, even as kids."

"You knew Daddy when you were kids?" I asked.

She nodded. "Yeah. We were neighbors just like you and Lei were."