Episode 83: Strained Eyes

My eyes fluttered open, but it was as if I still had them close as it was pretty dark

My eyes fluttered open, but it was as if I still had them close as it was pretty dark. All I could make out were my immediate surroundings. Someone had covered me with a blue blanket.

I rubbed my naked arm as the chilly air of the cave hit me. At least I had pants on. Who had gone ahead and changed my clothes?

My eyes widened as I recalled the two figures moving toward me back at the marsh. Would they really clean up a captive? Maybe it was an ally after ail.

I stood up and draped the blanket over my back like a coat. Steadily, I moved forward. Wasn't sure if the exit was this way, but anything was better than staying still.

Tiptoeing, I ran a hand against the cavern wall and followed its path. Along the way, I marked a number using a sharp rock I found. I did so for who knew how long, but I found myself going around in circles.

I leaned against the wall and sighed. So much for being an assassin. A dark place like this shouldn't have given me this much trouble. Usually my eyes were good against the dark.

Shivers ran down my spine as I felt a hand against my back. When had they snuck up behind me?

I turned around and threw my left elbow at the one holding me.

The person groaned. "Did you you have to hit me so hard, Hal?" a voice called out.

My eyes widened. That voice. It belonged to Dad.

"Dad? That you?"

"You can't see me? Guess the side-effects of your burst mode haven't completely worn off."

I touched my head. Right, I went ahead and used that.

"Why did you resort to it? You usually don't use it."

"It was the only way I could think of to defeat that serpent and keep the orphans and their caretakers alive. With the devices my mom made me broken, traps were out of the question."

"You depend too much on those gadgets, son. When you were younger, you used your surroundings."

Dad was right. I'd gotten overly attached to using strings and needles that I'd overlooked using my environment to my advantage.

I smiled weakly. "Guess it's back to the basics for me, since I lost them."

Dad placed a hand on my shoulder. "You'll be fine. Plus, your mom is fixing them. So another tool in your toolkit."

I smiled. "So Mom was the other person with you."

"Yup. Oh, right. I also washed your clothes. You were covered from head to toe in mud. Only had a spare set of pants."

I shook my head. "That's fine. I don't mind being bear footed." A chuckle escaped my lips. "Though I was half hoping that I had been found by a pretty girl." Not that Mom wasn't beautiful, she was but she was also Mom.