Special #1: Wish

*Iah*

I sighed as I stared at my empty hand and then at the pebbles on the ground. It had been a month since I had proclaimed I would defeat Adela, yet I've yet to reclaim my powers.

I grumbled and kicked the stones into the nearby pond, watching as they skidded over to the other side.

Dad said that powers couldn't just disappear without a reason, but was that true? If it was, then when would mine return? In another month? Maybe next year? Or in several years from now?

I squatted down by the edge of the water hugged my knees. Looking back at me was a blond-haired boy with red-eyes from too much crying the night prior.

After thirty days, one would think I would've learned my lesson to not get my hopes up.

"I found you!" someone called out in a sing-song voice. A pair of arm wrapped around me.

"Mommy!" I said, looking up to see a smiling face.

She snickered. "Was wondering where you had ran off to today. You weren't in any of your usual haunts." Her eyes shifted toward the tiny pond filled with lotus leaves. "You've been training here, haven't you? You should rest your mind if struggling won't work."

I directed my eyes to the pond too. "How can I when I can't stop thinking about my powers? Adela doesn't want to marry me anymore because I'm weak and the other kids won't stop picking on me. They keep saying that I would make a bad emperor if I can't use magic."

"If all she was interested in was your powers then she wasn't the right one to begin with. As for being a bad emperor, one's magical strength doesn't make one a good or a bad one." She put a hand on my chest. "What matters is how you treat your people and the policies you put in place to help them prosper and be happy."

"What about protecting them?" I asked, looking at her.

She pressed her chin against my forehead. "Magic can help with that, but a leader singlehandedly can't protect the people. It requires more than one person. Plus, the best defenders are known for more than just their martial feats. An emperor must also have a polished mind."

"A polished mind, so like a strategist?"

She snickered as she raised her chin from my forehead. "Yes. Seems you're already on your way there." She picked me up with one arm and poked my forehead. "It's great that you're thinking about being emperor now, but try to enjoy your childhood. Make friends who would love you and cherish you for who you are as a person, rather than what your title is."

"Think someone would want to be friends with me despite having no powers?" I asked. "I mean, the other kids would bully them and scare them off."

She ruffled my hair. "I'm sure they will, so long as you stand up for one another. It's easier to endure bullying when you got someone else standing by your side, ready to block and parry the attacks."

I smiled. "I see. I hope I can make a friend like that soon!"

She smiled. "I'm sure they'll come when the time is ready." She turned around. "Now, how about we go to the dining hall, hmm?"

I patted my tummy. "Sure... I sorta forgot to eat," I said, grumbling.

She laughed. "Oh my. How then did you expect to summon up your latent magical power when your body was running empty on food?"

I smiled. "Ohh! Maybe that's why it won't work!"

"Maybe... though, you feel heavier than usual." She looked me up and down. "I know you've grown, but your weight seems too much for a lanky kid."

I laughed and pulled up the sleeves of my yellow robes.

Mama gasped at the sight of several black bands strapped around my arms. "Are those weights?"

I nodded. "Yup! A young man told me that he trained with weights even though he was lacking in angelic power."

"Angelic power?" She laughed. "It was one of those who accompanied your uncle, wasn't it?"

I nodded. "Yup! He gave me a pair as a momento," I said, pointing to my legs.

"You got them on your legs too? Woah, you sure are more determined than I thought!"

I grinned. "Of course! I gotta be if I'm to regain my power and show all those jerks who is boss!"

She tilted her head. "Iah, don't do it for revenge or to keep apperances. That's unhealthy."

I lowered my head. "I know... but I'm also doing it for the kingdom. So that I'll be able to better protect it! I'll sharpen my mind too! That way, I can defend it in more ways than one!"

She snuggled me. "Ahh, you're such a cute kid! I can't believe you're eight now!"

I blinked. "Huh, I'm eight? But I'm..." I gasped. "Wait, today is..."

Mommy opened the door to the dining hall, revealing a room filled with all of the house servants as well as my entire family.

"Happy Birthday, Iah!" they all shouted in unison.

Aunty Bai walked over with a little boy in her arms. In the boy's hands was a little yellow daisy.

"Is this for me?"

My aunt nodded. "Yeah, he picked it up for his cousin."

"Me got you one too!" a red-haired girl yelled, jumping from behind her mother.

I laughed as Mommy put me down. "Thank you," I said, taking them.

"You're finally eight, kiddo. Before long, you'll be the one sitting on the throne," uncle Huang said, walking over to join his wife and kids.

I blushed. "You think I can?"

"Of course, your powers will return to you before you know it!"

Mommy sighed. "He can be emperor even if they never return, Huang. Now, how about we go and cut the cake, hmm?"

My face and those of my cousins lit up upon the mention of cake.

"Cake!" we yelled, running over to the table filled with food.

Daddy laughed as he stood over the table with a knife in hand. "Ready, Iah?" he asked.

I stood up on one of the chairs and stared at the candles. I'd read that the birthday cake was a tradition that was brought to Mina by the Rios during their conquest to reunite all of Xeleria under one banner. However it got here, I was glad it did. It was my favorite part of a birthday, even more so than the presents.

"Make a wish," Mommy said as she walked up behind me.

I smiled and blew the candle right away, knowing what to wish right away.

"Yay!" the others in the room cheered.

"Now, to cut it," Papa said as he stood by my side. I put my hands on the knife in his hands. Papa didn't let go of the knife, instead guiding me as I cut it. I hoped that one day, I would be able to do it by myself, but for now, I didn't mind having Daddy and Mommy guiding me.

"So, what did you wish for, Iah?" my cousin Vermeil asked as she looked up at me with her big crimson eyes.

I smiled and handed her the cake I had just cut. "That's a secret," I said, winking.

She pouted. "Not sure why the mystery, I bet it was getting your powers back!"

I laughed and returned my attention to the burnt out candle. That actually wasn't it. My wish was to one day make a real friend who didn't care for what my title was nor for how strong my magic was, but rather, liked me for who I was as a person. A buddy who would stick with me through thick and thin.

**Solar Note: Hope that you enjoyed the special, wrote it and published it today as it's December 21 which is Iah's birthday! Btw, if you haven't already checked it out, look at my recently published 'Official Character Art' part for art on Iah (art on Lei, Nyima, and the others will be coming out later).**