Episode 94: The Black Warrior of the North

*Lithdia*

I kicked the black-haired guy's turtle-shell-like shield as his companion ran off.

"Get back here!" I yelled, raising the earth around her.

Intense flames flew out of her feather-like pauldrons, melting the rock. The intensity of her fire reminded me of Bernard's flames.

The girl spun and around sent a razor wind at me. I ducked and charged at her.

"Oh, no you don't! Your opponent is me!" the dark-skinned guy said, jumping in front of his companion.

I smiled. "Persistent. You remind me of my teammates: a water mage and a big, bulky guy who can move fast. But I'll have you know, I'm the strongest of the Barragan three!" The guy stepped back as spikes rose out of the ground. Several of them got past his shield, impaling his legs.

He grinned as the girl took to the skies.

I jumped into the air and threw stones at her, but ice shields blocked them, deflecting them back at me. By leaning all of my weight toward my left, I avoided the rocks. This guy, he didn't seem like much during the Mahoulympics. Then again, apart from Iah and Isabel, the others didn't stand out much.

"Didn't think a sheet of ice could do that," I said, dusting myself off.

He held his hand out. "I'm just getting started."

Water spun around me.

"Water, huh?" I said, holding a hand out. My eyes widened as the water coiled around my arm. I grimaced as it crushed my arm.

The man soon regretted it as he was pushed back by sonic waves.

I gasped for air as the water coils fell to the ground. "Sound beats water," I said, dropping to one knee.

This guy, his magic was as dangerous as Anastasia's. Just who was he?

The man laughed as his right hand glowed cyan. "True, guess I should stick to my ice."

Ice crystals flew out of the ground in a straight line from his hand.

I formed a wall of earth and raised my hand. A stone pillar formed underfoot, raising toward the clouds.

"Eh? Does she seriously think going up that high will save her?" I could hear him say from far below. It was odd. My hearing was better than others, but not that good. Yet, it was as clear as day.

"You won't land another on me, because you'll be buried alive!" I slammed my hands in the pillar, causing it to shatter. The wave of dirt buried the outskirts of the forest and the surrounding area. Some of it even reached Sera's capital city, including Nia's beloved orphanage.

I smiled as I floated on a slab of rock. "Now, to find Isabel."

My eyes widened as a cyan beam tore through the lingering dust cloud. The surrounding dust swirled around me, creating a defensive sphere.

He survived?

I closed my eyes and formed 'pseudo eyes' from the dust. With them, I could project my vision outward and see what they could see. Sort of like sending out a drone.

My eyes fluttered open. Outside was a giant black turtle. So, he'd transformed at the last moment.

My barrier shook. Cold air seeped in, covering the interior in frost.

I scoffed and exploded the barrier. A cyan laser struck me in the stomach, sending me flying toward the forest.

A thick layer of ice covered me. If he were to hit me again, I could shatter like a dropped mug.