Episode 29: Unexpected Familiar

*Kun*

I glanced at Sarah as we continued to search for lions. Though, thus far, we'd only seen zebras. Sadly, no one in our group was looking for a magical zebra.

That spirit that Alex saw, it was An, wasn't it? But, if that's the case, is he dead?

Sarah looked up at me. There was a glimmer in her eyes and not a sad one.

She might call him a pervert, but I know she doesn't dislike him enough to be happy about him passing. Then is he doing better, and he contacted her to say that? But, if that were the case, why didn't he make himself known to the rest of us?

I shrugged. Oh, well. It isn't like we are friends. The guy likely still distrusts me.

I glanced up at the sky. However, I couldn't help but feel that An tried to tell me to protect her.

"What's on your mind now?" Hikaru said.

I slowed down my pace until Sarah was a decent distance away from us.

"I was thinking about the spirit that Alex saw. I think that Sarah could also see it."

"Probably, she did curl her arms around thin-air, and Alex himself wondered whether she could see it or not."

I grumbled. Why did he have to bring up the hug?

Hika snickered. "Are you jealous?"

I turned my head away and spotted another zebra. "How about you get yourself a familiar? I think one of those would fit you."

Hikaru sighed. "You don't truly think that." He snickered. "So, guess I hit the hammer on the nail?"

"No, you missed and hit your hand," I said, grinning.

He laughed. "Come on, admit it!"

I grinned. "You should tell Wani to give you some ice for that."

"Kun!" he said, shaking me.

I laughed.

Hika took a deep breath. "Fine, be that way. See if I tell you any of my secrets."

I leaned toward him and widened my smile. "Secrets?"

He grumbled and pushed my face away. "I meant when I have some. I got none right now. Even if I did, I bet they would dwarf yours, Mr. Mystery-boy."

I laughed. "Mystery-boy, huh? I like the sound of that! It's like a superhero name!" I said, raising a fist toward the sky and flying up.

Hika yanked my leg. "Don't fly off, Super Boy. We need you here."

I chuckled as I landed back on the ground. "Okay, my trusty sidekick."

His face reddened. "I am not your sidekick!"

"Yeah, he's mine," Yen said as she pulled Hika over to her.

I snorted. "He's more like your servant than your sidekick."

Hika nodded.

Yen laughed as she let go of Hika. "I guess that's true."

"Stop teasing Hikaru, you two," Zelde said as she looked over her shoulder. "We need to find a lion."

Lei studied the zebra we had seen earlier. "Lions eat zebras, right?"

"Yes," Adela said. "Wait, do you think one will attack that one?"

My younger brother nodded. "Yeah, it's by itself."

"You do know that lionesses do most of the hunting, right?" Yen asked.

Lei smiled. "I'm fine with a lioness. Lions can be rather lazy and difficult to work with."