Episode 14: What would I do without them?

*Adela*

After having descended to the ground, I formed a makeshift shelter made out of interconnected branches to shield Elliot and me from the heavy rain.

I even made a small fire to warm my brother and me up. Of course, like usual, I adverted staring right at it. Thankfully, I didn't need to look at it in order to maintain it and make sure it wouldn't burn down our little hut of branches.

I sighed as I leaned my back against one of the walls. I hadn't heard from Xun yet. Was he safe? Was he the one who blasted the magista bomb out of the sky?

I glanced back at the unconscious Elliot. If he wasn't passed out, I would've gone ahead and looked for Xun.

My lips curled into a slight smile as I realized something. I could have someone look after him while I went to look for Xun!

I walked out of the hut and whistled.

Suddenly, a giant black bear emerged from the woods.

"Hey there," I said, waving.

It calmly approached me with no sense of fear in its eyes. I smiled and patted its head as it let out a soft growl. Well, as gentle a growl that a bear could make.

"I see, so that's your name. I'm Adela. I was wondering if you could watch over my big brother. He's sleeping in the hut over there. If you'll like, you can stay inside, that way you won't need to get wet and cold."

It let out a growl.

"I see," I said, tilting my head. "Well, my brother isn't afraid of bears. He likes most large creatures." I laughed. "That said, he might want to touch your ears."

It glanced up at its ears.

"But don't worry, he doesn't mean harm. He would never harm anyone unless if there's a reason to do so. If he wakes up before I return, then let out a quick triple growl."

*growl* *growl* *growl*

I nodded. "Exactly! You're a very smart girl for your age!"

The bear went around me and poked its nose against the door of the hut, but the opening was too small for it to enter.

"Here, let me make it larger." I spread out the branches forming the arch of the door and moved the door aside until the opening was wide enough for her to enter.

She suddenly came to a stop. It raised a paw toward the fire.

"Oh, right. There's a fire inside, but don't worry, it won't harm you as long as you don't get too close to it." I turned aside. "Personally, I'm afraid of fire too. But as long as we keep our distance, we're fine." I smiled upon saying the last part.

She nodded and entered the hut.

"Bye, take care! I'll be sure to bring back some food to reward you!"

The bear let out a growl that reminded me of Lan's happy squeaks whenever I feed him his favorite food.

I laughed and closed the door after making it big enough to match the widened arch.

My eyes turned toward the cloudy sky once more. Fire... I keep on saying that I'll get over my fear of it, but when would that be?

I shook my head. Right now I needed to focus on finding Xun.

I sprinted forward, moving several feet in an instant.

Hopefully, that red-haired general was the last of the Hiearchians I would encounter on this trip.