Episode 89: Water Bonds

*Dai-Huan*

"You're dead!" Anastasia yelled.

The king chuckled and waved his hand, shattering the water binds on our necks.

"You're strong, I give you that. But it'll take more than that to defeat the clan leader of the Shui. Before those upstarts in Rios came along, we were the strongest water mages around."

Anastasia smiled. Did she find his jab at the Rios funny? The Hiearchians hated them with a passion. His Majesty surely knew that, given his diplomacy. If only it had worked, we could've avoided this mess.

"Right, but you pale in comparison to those upstarts." Water danced on her fingertips.

The king jumped back as blades of water extended out of her nails.

"Those are some gnarly nails. Consider cutting them. Or better yet, I'll do so you!" He struck them the side of them with his hand, causing the water to revert into droplets.

Anastasia moved back. "It appears that I have to retreat."

"Like we'll let you do that!" my sister and I said as we rushed her.

She held out her hands, grabbing our swords.

"You, you're the one who almost defeated Hew," Anastasia said, staring at me.

I smiled. If only she knew the truth. Hew convinced me to throw that match away to save my sister from being brutalized by Benjamin like the princess had been by Aida. I would tell her, if no one else was around. Alas, if I did that here, it would hurt my sister.

"Yeah, and we're going to defeat you!" my sister yelled, transforming her sword into a spear.

Anastasia grimaced as the pole weapon went through her hand. Unlike the other attacks, this one had hurt her as much as it would anybody else.

"Damn it."

She gasped as the king appeared behind her.

The blade of the water sword of His Majesty went flying into the air. Anastasia had kicked it and His Highness back like a wild horse would.

She smiled at us and spun around, sending us flying into opposite directions.

I pushed myself up. Those kicks of hers packed a punch. No pun intended.

"Liked my acting? Did you fools seriously think that my water magic was all I had going for me? There was a reason my mother married a man with weak magic but with the physical strength to make up for it."

"I see," I said, wobbling. Smiling, I wiped away the blood that I'd coughed out from my lips.

"Wipe that smile off your face!"

She dashed at me and kicked me in the side, sending me rolling into a tree. I clenched my mouth as blood dripped through my teeth. Think she broke a rib or two.

Anastasia scoffed as she pulled me up by my hair. "You let almost beating Hew get to you. I'm not a pushover like my little brother."

"Unhand my brother!" my sister yelled, running at her.

She nodded and threw me at her. "There you go." Her arms raised into the air as the king flew down from the air.

The way she moved, it was as if she could anticipate our attacks.

"She's an astute woman," Rebecca said as she walked over to us.

I turned and saw that Vermeil and the kids were gone.