176

Su Lianghe was calm as he told the story. "I exhausted my power to protect the man and I was able to do so. Facing so many death experiences he still lived. That was, until he met a man who became the light of his life, a man who had saved him. To seek a life with this person, he forgot his resentment, merely seeking a life with the one he loved. He sealed his cultivation, becoming a normal person. I was forced away, unable to protect him anymore." Su Lianghe sighed.

"Along with his husband, the two stayed together hidden away from Fushui Sect. Unfortunately, I was not able to fulfill my promise. Baicheng's husband betrayed him, pushing him down a cliff. The man had always been a spy sent from Fushui Sect to kill Baicheng and Baicheng had fell for it. Near his death, the man's hatred was so strong, I was unable to bear the pain and I had to leave. In the last moments I spent by his side, he was dead. Yet, he lived once more. Perhaps it was fate, perhaps it was the work of a higher-being." Su Lianghe finished. He raised his hand, conjuring the image of a man.

Fei Qianchi stared at the image made by Qi. In the memories of Su Lianghe, Baicheng was a normal youth. His eyes were bright, a true smile on his lips as he turned to look behind him. The man had no resentment on his body, this was a time where he was truly happy. But he also lost everything with the betrayal of the one he loved most.

All of a sudden, he now noticed the sorrow that leaked from the man. Back then, things were so clear. Fei Qianchi hadn't noticed, perhaps, Ran Mengyu also had a hand in everything, perhaps he was always manipulating his emotions.

"I... have to leave." Fei Qianchi said as he stood up, calming his heart.

Su Lianghe put up his hand, "Stay for a bit longer. Come closer to me, I need to draw a sigil on your forehead."

Though Fei Qianchi didn't understand what the man wanted to do, he walked over, bending over as Su Lianghe reached out his hands touching Fei Qianchi's forehead.

Fei Qianchi felt a cool sensation hit his forehead, slowly seeping into his skin. Su Lianghe was mumbling some words under his breath, quiet and long, the words seemed like a different language. He could hear the clanging from the chains that wrapped around Su Lianghe's wrist as the man moved.

As Su Lianghe finally stopped, Fei Qianchi furrowed his brows, "What is this?"

Su Lianghe was nonchalant, a peaceful look on his face. "An ancient spell. If you are ever killed, I will protect your immortal body from harm."

"Protect my immortal body?" Fei Qianchi was even more confused.

Su Lianghe nodded, "Deeply inscribed, your Book of Fate was written to be cruel and devastating. It is only after going through countless lifetimes that you will finally be able to find peace. But before this, you will walk through pain and death in many lifetimes. You will experience joy and sorrow, happiness and sadness, before things become clear to you." The man seemed otherworldly in that moment.

Perhaps he was. Fei Qianchi stared at Su Lianghe. The man had lived for tens of thousands of years. He had gone through pain and betrayal, all to be chained to this place. He had heard the countless cries of people on their way to reincarnation, he had answered the pleas of forsaken ones.

Fei Qianchi clenched his hand. Book of Fate? So did it mean that he could do nothing but walk this pain of suffering, unable to retaliate? But thinking back, perhaps he did deserve this.

"Is there a way to forgo this life?" Fei Qianchi asked, speaking up with his voice slightly shaking. His blue eyes were calm at last, as if he finally understood. Deep within, he found a bit of peace within him as he finally bowed down.

Hearing this, Su Lianghe smiled lightly, "Of course there is. But to rip out a page written within your Book of Fate, then you will sacrifice the other soul who is tied to you. If you choose to destroy your Book of Fate, then you will forgo your lives with the one who is yours, a soul who loves you. Are you willing to do this?" He turned his head towards Fei Qianchi.