1.12

"It is a good thing that you were able to arrive, Consort Yu. Please, take a seat." Though Mei Lin said this with a calm tone, her eyes were glaring immensely at Yu Zhuang.

Yu Zhuang didn't even bother about Mei Lin and headed straight for his seat. He was held up because one of the maids had broken his favorite bracelet that was given to him from his father, the Emperor. The bracelet was made from a crimson red jade that was rare and priceless yet it was broken from a mere maid, of course his anger was lit. The maid had been slow at her job and also too clumsy, breaking many strands of his hair. He was already angered from the night before and something like this just gave him a reason to vent off his anger.

"Consort Yu, it is a great thing that you were able to arrive. How was your first night as a consort in this palace?" A beautiful lady asked, sitting next to Yu Zhuang. Her name was Consort Ran, Ran HuaXian, daughter of the Right Prime Minister. Though her features were beautiful, she had a seductive aura coming from her.

Bai Mengxiang almost smiled. Because Xu Yongheng had visited him last night, rumors had already flown around that Xu Yongheng did not like Yu Zhuang and chose to spend his night with Bai Mengxiang. Asking that question now, it was to purposely rub it into Yu Zhuang's face and make him angry. After all, he was rejected by Xu Yongheng.

Consort Ran was the person who always made many people get angry, she loved to ripped them into pieces with her schemes and did not care if other people were stronger than her. Although, she didn't go for Bai Mengxiang nor Mei Lin because she knew that they were too powerful, so now that she saw Yu Zhuang, she immediately went for him.

Consort Ran smirked, a fan in her hand as she covered her smirk so that only her eyes filled with ridicule were seen.

Yu Zhuang controlled his anger because he knew that this person, who he assumed was Consort Ran, was purposely trying to get him angry. Though it was working, he couldn't show it or else she would've won this battle.

"It was well spent, Consort Ran." Yu Zhuang replied, hiding his anger as he took a sip from his cup of tea, his eyes blazing a bit but still staying in control.

"Is that so, Consort Yu? I had thought that by the rumors spreading around, you must have had a night that wasn't all so great. After all, as consorts in this palace, we are all siblings, of course we only want the best for each other," Though her words were meant to be reassuring, it was impossible to hide Consort Ran's hidden meaning behind it.

Just as Yu Zhuang was about to reply, a maid entered.

She walked up towards the Mei Lin and knelt down.

"Long live Her Majesty, the Empress, may you live ten thousand years."

"What matters do you have with me?" Mei Lin replied, her eyes towards the maid.

"Consort Shi sends his regrets that he will not be able to arrive as he is not feeling well and is currently resting in bed." The maid knelt down, but her voice did not shake nor was she afraid in the face of higher ranking people.

Mei Lin gritted her teeth without anyone noticing. Well, except Bai Mengxiang. Mei Lin knew that Shilian was only using this as an excuse and the real actions he intended was to disrespect her as the Empress. What Shilian was doing was to say that he didn't care if Mei Lin was the Empress, and he would never care. But being the Empress, she could only nod her head. She didn't care for the Xu Yongheng's favor but what she hated most was being disrespected.

"Please, send my condolences for him. Qing, make sure the kitchen makes a bowl of red ginseng to give to Consort Shi." Mei Lin told one of her maids, as the maid immediately set off to complete the task.