7.13

Shan Mingxia's face suddenly turned a bit wary, even Tang Qingshan became tense.

Of course, Lu Fengmian hid his confusion as he heard Shan Mingxia's wary voice. This was definitely not in his memories, at least not that he knew of. So what exactly was going on? Right away, his eyes turned to Tang Qingshan hesitantly.

Tang Qingshan hurried to resolve whatever was happening. His brows knitted softly, "Mother, this is Lu Fengmian. He is the new subordinate by my side and is also the one who helped me win the war against the Li Nation."

Shan Mingxia's eyes were still clouded with worry before it suddenly disappeared. As if nothing happened, she suddenly smiled and shook her head. "Forgive me, I became muddled for a bit there. You must be the one that Nianzhen was talking about?"

Lu Fengmian felt nervous but still stepped forward and bent his back a bit as he said, "I am, Madam."

"Forgive me for my words earlier. I... had a sudden thought and became a bit worried." Shan Mingxia pushed past her son and hurried to lead Lu Fengmian up. "No need for such courtesy. You have saved my son's life. As a mother, I owe a debt to you."

"I only did what I should have, Madam. The General is a good man, he would have been able to win even if I had not been there." Lu Fengmian could only refute gently, shaking his head as his eyes glittered.

Tang Qingshan smiled from the side but didn't say anything.

Shan Mingxia had caught the way Lu Fengmian glanced at Tang Qingshan. Even so, her eyes were calm and clear as she added, "I shall prepare a place for you right away. I was given the news that my son was bringing someone back but I was a bit caught up and was unable to prepare. For the moment, let Qingshan guide you around the manor first and I shall call you when I have everything prepared for you." Saying this, she turned to her son and beckoned him over.

Tang Qingshan quickly walked over to Lu Fengmian.

"Understood, Mother. I will do as you say." Tang Qingshan's cold features softened a bit as his mother turned to him.

"Leave first, I have some matters to finish." Shan Mingxia could only say as her pale lips lifted gently. "I'm glad that you are safe."

"Then, I will take my leave first, Mother." Tang Qingshan replied as he guided Lu Fengmian out from the palace hall.

As soon as Shan Mingxia saw that they were gone, her brows suddenly furrowed. "Hua'er."

"Yes, Madam?" Hua'er asked as she walked over to Shan Mingxia, awaiting her orders.

Shan Mingxia looked out the door, still thinking about the man. Finally, after a moment of silence, she commanded, "Send a few guards to secretly monitor his movements. Make sure that Qingshan doesn't know about this matter."

"I understand, I shall do as you say right away, Madam." Hua'er was not fazed by how Shan Mingxia acted.

Shan Mingxia closed her eyes for a moment. Her thoughts ran wild as she calmed herself. "Leave, I want a moment alone in here."

"Yes, Madam, "Hua'er immediately left the hall, closing the doors gently, the sound echoing in the quiet room.

Shan Mingxia looked around before she began moving to a small room connected to the palace hall. Fixing her dress, she stood in front of a memorial table. There was the picture of a handsome and gallant man on top of the table. Shan Mingxia kneeled down and her hands came together as she looked at the picture and smiled sorrowfully.

"Shouxin, your son has returned safely. Only, I don't understand why today I had such an oppressive feeling in my heart when I saw the man he brought back with him. You had been killed years ago, leaving me when we were married only for a few years. I blame myself, for not stopping you from your mission. The fox demon that took you, I wish to know just who it was." Shan Mingxia's eyes suddenly watered as she grabbed a few incenses and lighted them up.