1.10

Bai Mengxiang woke up, sleepiness still within his eyes as he peered at Xu Yongheng, who was still standing with no movement. Then, it changed into confusion.

"Yongheng, what are you doing here? Aren't you suppose to consummate your marriage with Yu Zhuang?" Bai Mengxiang asked as Xu Yongheng walked towards him and laid down on the bed. At this point, Bai Mengxiang was no longer sleepy but was wide awake, and was looking towards Xu Yongheng's eyes. He didn't show any sort of emotion while saying it, his eyes still remaining like normal and his expression was the same as always, kind and gentle.

"I didn't want to, I would never be willing to do something like that again after what I had done to you. Mengxiang, I know that even though you don't say it, it still would hurt you if I did do that with him, not just him but with anyone else. The day that I found out you were pregnant, I had already promised to never touch another person in my life except for you. You alone are enough for me, so even if that prince gets angry at me, he can do nothing anyways." Xu Yongheng said, his eyes looking only at Bai Mengxiang, who, although looked normal, Xu Yongheng didn't believe it. Then he pulled him into his arms, gently kissing his head.

"But, what if other people find out about this, wouldn't this ruin his reputation?" Bai Mengxiang asked again, biting his lips at the end of his sentence, hiding his emotions behind a mask in his eyes.

"Mengxiang, you are too kind. Someone like that prince, he is not someone who will peacefully live his life. He is someone who will want more and more, and he will do anything to get rid of the obstacles in his path, even resorting to pushing other people down. In his nation, he might have been treated well, living a life spoiled and getting whatever he wanted but in Xu Nation, things are different."

"No matter if he is a prince, his rank is only a consort. There is still you, and other people above him, that is why he will be trying to take you down. He will do anything to get my love, but I won't fall for it, never again. I left his chambers, and I will never step foot in there again even till my last breath. He needs to be taught a lesson that if he decides to do anything against you, I will never let him get away with it. You don't have to worry, Mengxiang. I can promise you that my heart belongs to only you and it will always be yours." Xu Yongheng held Bai Mengxiang tightly within his arms, his voice smooth and calming, gently like a soft breeze brushing past someone's face.

"I know, Yongheng. You don't need to worry, I understand. Thank you for everything," Bai Mengxiang replied in return, and he could feel Xu Yongheng smile, and he hid his own smile, though the feelings behind it were much different compared to Xu Yongheng's.

"Now go to sleep. Tomorrow, there will be a gathering in the harem for the arrival of a new consort. If anyone tries anything against you, you must tell me." Xu Yongheng could hear Bai Mengxiang's breathing loud and clear, his heart racing as he held Bai Mengxiang in his arms. This person, why did he leave him before, was he just crazy then?

~moments beforehand~

Xu Yongheng stood in front of the doors, unwilling to step in. Taking a deep breathe, he finally went in.

Sitting on the bed was Yu Zhuang, dressed in his red clothing, a veil covering his face. Behind the veil, he had a smile on, already anticipating what was to come.

Xu Yongheng walked towards Yu Zhuang, his footsteps slow and heavy, each step feeling like a dagger to his heart.

A maid had followed after Xu Yongheng, carrying a tray with two cups of wine. The maid quickly set the tray in a table before walking out, and closing the doors, now standing beside it.

As soon as the maid had walked out, Xu Yongheng froze, unwilling to take another step closer to Yu Zhuang. Instead, he began to speak, his expression changing as his eyes glinted.