nightmares - knj

he shifts in bed. he reaches his hand out for you. you're not there. he sits up slowly and rubs his eyes. he stares at the wall, waiting to adjust to the dark room. he gets out of bed.

you sat in the living room. the lights were dim. you pulled your blanket tighter around you. nightmares were apart of your life for a long time. you felt like a burden to him. you didn't want to be interrupting his sleep. he was always busy. you didn't want to be the reason he overslept or felt exhausted all day.

he pulled his hood over his head. he shuffled into the living room, stuffing his hands in his sweatpants pockets. he sees you sitting on the couch.

he knew you had nightmares. he knew you never woke him up because you didn't want to bother him. he didn't care. he couldn't care any less. he would do anything for you to feel safe at night.

he sits next to you. he picks you up and sits you in his lap. you lay your head on his shoulder. he hugs you tightly.

"was it the same?" he asks. you nod. he lays back against the arm of the couch. he presses his lips to your forehead. he keeps them there.

you tell him you're sorry. he rubs your back.

"i don't care i'm up with you every single night for the rest of my life. i just hope i can make you feel ok," he whispers softly. "don't be sorry, my love."

you wrap an arm around his waist. he closes his eyes and holds you tighter.

nothing could make this better. no one could make you feel safer. he was all you needed.