you have to fight - knj

tw/ mental illness

he sits in the basement alone. the lights were low, the tv was on, and he was sad. the past few months were hard on him. stress piled up which formed into anxiety which caused panic attacks. he fell into a slump. he wanted out.

you stood in the kitchen upstairs, sticking candles into the cake. it was his birthday. it hurt you to see him this way. you did your best to make him feel better.

no amount of hugs can get rid of a sadness like that, no matter how many you gave him. that didn't mean you wouldn't still try.

you picked up the cake in the pan and walked down the steps slowly. he picks his head up when he sees the small flames coming down the steps. you smiled and started to softly sing happy birthday.

he pursed his lips together into a smile. tears began to run down his face. you set it down on the table in front of him. you urge him to make a wish. he takes off his glasses and wipes his eyes. he sits up and closes them, blowing out the candles after making a wish.

you smile and clap quietly. he looks up at you with tears in his eyes. you walk over to him and sit down, pulling him into your chest. he wraps an arm around your neck and hides his face in your shoulder. you hold him close to you.

"thank you," he cries, the sound muffled in your shoulder.

you kiss his head and lay down, rubbing his back softly. he cries for a little while longer. you weren't bothered at all.

"i couldn't fight this without you," he admits. you hold the back of his head, running your fingers through his hair. you kiss his head again. you tell him he needs to rest. you'll take care of him.

you had never seen him in such a rough spot. maybe it was because he has always kept it together. it was just his breaking point.

there is nothing wrong with that. we all go through small moments in life where we reach a breaking point. we fall into a pit for what seems like eternity.

there is always a way out though. whether it's finding someone that is willing to put the time into helping you through it or having a moment of realization by yourself, we get through it.

you have to fight through it.