to sleep - pjm

you shift around, huffing in defeat. you lay on your back. you cover your face. stress had piled up for so long. it was hard to sleep. sleep well. you sit up. you rub your eyes, running your hands through your hair after.

you feel a hand on your back. you turn around. he laid on his back. his over arm rested across his  own waist. he had a look of concern on his face. he moved his hand underneath your shirt. he softly rubbed your bare skin.

"what's wrong?" he asks. his voice was raspy. he tends to sleep well next to you. he hated seeing you struggle. it only worried him. 

you sigh. you told him how you couldn't sleep. it had been hours since he had fallen asleep. you stayed awake, staring out the window at the pouring rain. even that wasn't helping.

he moves his hand from your back to your waist. "come here."

you lay back down, on his pillow this time. he sits up slowly. he holds himself up with his elbow. you lay on your back, looking up at him. he moves his hand through your hair, brushing your cheek softly. you smile at him. he smiles back.

he leans down and kisses you. you kiss him back. he lowers himself down, pulling you in closer. you hold his face. he smiles against your lips. he lays down, rubbing your back once again. you lay your head on his shoulder.

he takes a gentle breath in. he takes your hand, holding it close to his heart. you feel his heartbeat. 

he begins to sing. a soft singing. lips against your hair. he knew you found his voice soothing. you told him constantly. he smiles at the thought. he continues. 

you let out a breath. you close your eyes. you squeeze his hand. he rubs the back of it with his thumb. 

he sings until he feels you sink in his hold. 

he looks up at the ceiling.

he smiles. 

he didn't mind doing this. 

even if it were for the rest of his life.