company - knj

you walk into the living room, seeing him sit by the window with a book in his hands. you knew that's where he'd be. it was raining out. he always read his book when it's raining. right by the window too. he liked the noise. you smile to yourself and walk into the kitchen. you wash the dishes sitting in the sink.

he hears the faucet running. he looks up from his book. he sees you looking down, scrubbing a plate. he looks back down at his book. he holds his thumb to keep his place in his book. he stands up and walks to the kitchen. he sits at the counter. he goes back to reading.

you look over at him. you ask why he moved. he always liked being by the window.

"i wanted to keep you company," he says, eyes focused on his book. you laugh softly. baby i'm ok, you tell him.

he shakes his head. "ill wait until you're done."

you smile and go back to cleaning. he looks up every now and then, looking at the sink to see how much you had left. he got excited whenever you put one in the rack to dry.

you grab a towel and dry your hands. you look over at him. he looks up from his book. he raises and eyebrow. you nod and laugh. he smiles and walks back to the living room, sitting next to his window. you follow him. you go to sit next to him.

"wait," he says. you look at him. he opens his arms. you smile and sit in his lap. he wraps his arms around your shoulders. he holds his book at your chest. he rests his chin on your head. you hold onto his arm, softly rubbing your thumb up and down. he smiles and kisses your head.

after awhile, he takes a big sigh and closes his book. he hugs you tighter. you look up at him. he kisses you softly. you smile and lay back on his chest, staring out the window.

"they probably love it out there," you hear him say. you ask what he means. he points. "the trees."

you bite your lip to hold back your smile. you look up at him. he stares outside, admiring the trees and plants in the rain.

you kiss his neck softly. he smiles. you lay back down on his chest.

he's a good one. he will forever be the best one.