i still - knj

he stands against the bar with a drink in his hand. the annual office christmas party was happening. he had to be there. he didn't want to. you were there too. he avoided you at all costs. he didn't want to talk.

you knew he was there. he had to be. he's a big part of the company. you didn't want to see him. you didn't want to make awkward eye contact. you avoided him at all costs. you didn't want to talk.

you walk out of the party room and down the hall. there was an open balcony. you stood at it. you took deep breaths. it was hard to breathe in there. too many bodies.

he watched you leave the room. he didn't want to talk. but he had to. his heart wouldn't shut up. he just had to.

he walks down that same hallway. he finds you outside. he stops at the door.

you hear someone behind you. you turn around. your heart stops. you look at him. he looks at you.

"hi," he says. you say hello. he stands next to you. you look out at the city. you didn't know what to say. there's so much you wanted to tell him. you didn't know how to get it out. how to really tell him. he breaks the silence first.

"have you been ok?" you nod. you ask him the same.

he says nothing. he doesn't move. he keeps his eyes on the skyline. you ask him again.

"i still get excited to go home. i think you'll be there," you turn to look at him. he continues.

"i still hear you. when you're not even there," he leans against the railing. he holds his hands together.

"i still have your scent on half of my clothes. that one hurts a lot," you swallow hard. he looks over at you.

"i still find you beautiful. God spent His time on you," ouch.

he looks back out at the skyline. tears fall down his face. he lets them. he doesn't move.

"and i still love you," his voice cracks. you put your hand on his back. he steps away, shaking his head.

"you can't do that," you feel your throat tighten. he takes a deep breath. he shakes his head again. "but i want you to."

tears run down your face and neck. you felt frozen. you didn't know what to say to him. you only stood. looking at him.

he shoves his hands in his pockets. he swallows hard.

"someday," he nods. you watch him walk off the balcony.

you broke his heart. he broke yours.

he is the right one.

it's just the wrong time.