slow dancing - ksj

you sit at the counter. you keep your eyes on the computer screen. work was stressful. there were so many things piled on top of each other. a lot to take care of.

he stood in the kitchen, washing dishes from the dinner you both had finished. he turned his head every so often. you never noticed. he smiled softly to himself. he continued washing.

soft music played over the surround sound. not too loud. not too quiet. something to give you both ease when doing work.

he placed the last clean dish into the cupboard. he took the towel and dried off his hands. he looked at you. you looked over the top of your computer. he smiles. you smile back.

"you should take a break," he says, throwing the towel onto the counter. you lean back in your seat, stretching. he walks over and holds out his hand. you look down.

"dance with me," he stares at you. "please."

you rest your hand in his. you stand up. he walks with you in the middle of the kitchen. he turns the lights low. he pulls you close. one hand on the small of your back, the other holding yours to his chest. he sways back and forth to the music. you smile up at him. he kisses you softly.

he extends his arm. you hold his hand above your head, spinning slowly.

he felt his heart erupt. he watched your hair spin. his focused on your smile. how you stared up at his hand. how your other arm was stretched out as you spun. he couldn't believe it.

he couldn't believe how lucky he was to have you. how amazing it was that the universe gave you to him.

fate said it's time. they've been apart long enough.

he felt his throat tighten and his eyes water. he smiled softly. he didn't want to stop looking at you. he wanted time to freeze. he wanted to be here, with you, for eternity.

you noticed his tears. you ask if he's ok. he smiles. he drops his head and begins crying. you gasp, running into him and hugging him tight.

he rests his forehead on your shoulder. you rub the back of his head. you say nothing, you let him cry. he liked it that way.

he lifts his head and looks at you. he takes your hand, kissing your knuckles. he keeps his eyes on you.

"i love you," he chokes. you press your hand to his cheek, wiping his tears. he holds your hand to his chest. he continues.

"it hurts that i won't ever be able to find the words that describe how thankful i am to have you," he says. you smile softly. you felt your throat tighten. you ignore it.

he opens his mouth. he shakes his head softly. "i can't," he sighs.

you pull him back into your arms. he cries. you feel tears melt down your face.

you hold him for awhile.

soft music played in the back as you slowly swayed back and forth in the kitchen.

nothing was better than this moment.