rear view - kth

you sit in the car with your head leaning against the window. every seat in there was filled. it was noisy, but not too bad.

he sat in the drivers seat, one hand on the wheel. he talked with his friend in the passenger seat. it had been a long day. the lake wears you out.

he looks in the rear view. he sees you with your hand under your chin, staring out the window. he smiles softly.

you feel a tap on your calf. you look down and see his hand. he shakes his fingers. you smile. you take it. he rubs your hand with his thumb. you look in the rear view. he's already looking at you. he winks. you laugh softly.

he stays holding your hand for a long time. he drops everyone else off, leaving you in the backseat. he turns around. you sit with your head on the window, dead asleep. he laughs.

he drives home, his hand still holding yours. he pulls in and gets out, opening the back door. you sit up and rub your eyes.

"we're home my love," he says. you yawn. he carries in bags of food containers. you carry in the towels. he sets them all down in the kitchen. you set yours in the laundry room.

you find him on the couch. he rubs his face. he opens his arms.

"lay with me," he says. you lay next to him. he holds you close, running his fingers along your back.

he looks at you not long after you lay down and finds you asleep, again. he smiles. he kisses your forehead. he closes his eyes.

every single day is perfect to him when it ends like this.