A little Cliché

I worked for a small flower shop called, "Euphoria's Flowers." It's a small building in Toronto, Canada. I moved here not so long ago and began working here about 2 weeks ago. It was quite cozy, and next door was a café that I also work at. Right now my shift ended so I decided to walk over to the flower shop and talk to Darla aka my bestfriend who owns the shop. She was putting some sunflowers into a clear vase. "I wanted to make a complaint." I say in a serious tone, Darla turns around staring at me. "Haha, what do you want?" We hugged each other, rocking side to side. We start talking about how shitty our day was at work. The doorbell rang and in came 3 people, Darla stood up straight and fixed her hair. I raised an eyebrow slowly turning around knowing exactly who would be there. Eve, Josh, and Sam who also worked at the Café with me. Darla had been crushing on Eve for awhile now and told me all about it. Eve is a genderfluid person who goes by all pronouns, around 5'9, their hair is about medium length. The three start looking around the shop so I slowly turn to Darla, "Looks like Eve needs some help picking out flowers. You should go help them." I wink and slowly walk to the opposite side of the shelf. Darla nodded and slowly walked over towards Eve.

I began looking at the new flowers that had come in, they smelled amazing. As I was smelling the flowers the door opened, the bell rang, and someone walked in but I haven't seen them before. I just shrugged and watched them begin walking into a different room filled with purple flowers. I walked into the room and then I saw his face, he had a good jawline. I ran into the desk and slowly winced in pain. I looked up and he looked me in the eyes, and I then wanted to erase myself. I nodded my head at him and then began rearranging the flowers to make it look neater. I quickly walked over to put lavender into the slot which was what he was going to grab. I stared at him, he looked at me confused so I handed him the piece that was in my hand. I didn't want to fall but then I stepped right in. I looked down at the ground and felt it right within. It was too late for me. He took a step forward and tilted his head with a curious glance he stared. And I felt dead, a shock of cold went through my body. Oh my god I think I'm dying. He said, "Hey." I looked back up. "Hello. What's your name? I'd really like to know about you." Too bad I stopped just at Hello. I just stared and he grinned looking right back. "What flower do you like?" I walk away towards the roses. I noticed he didn't follow me. "Are you coming?" He nods and quickly walks over looking at the different colours in front of us. "Roses are beautiful and each one has a different meaning."

"Pick one." He reaches for a black rose and I awkwardly smile. He twirls it in his fingers, "Black roses mean Death or Ending in something. Kind of like a farewell." He looks down at it and quickly puts it away. He pulls a peach rose and I stare at it, "Peach roses, a sign of Loyalty, genuineness, they express thanks and gratitude." He smiles, putting it back and pulling out a white rose. "Purity. Can be used to honor someone in a new beginning." He puts that one back and stares at the others. He grabs one, "Ivory meaning Charm, Luxury, and Elegance. Could be used to let someone know you care without romantic intentions." I smile watching him place that one back looking closely. He points to the pink ones, "Admiration and appreciation." He points to the bright yellow ones, "Friendship and care." He points to the calm lavender coloured rose. "Fascination and adoration. Used for Love at first sight." He stays still for a minute looking at the lavender flower and then me. He pokes the green one causing me to laugh a bit, "Harmony, peace and Health." He points to the orange one, "Passion, Desire and Fierce love." He points to the original red rose. "Love, passion, and longing. Could be used to say "I love you." I point to the last flower. "Last but not least is the blue rose. Desire, mystery, lust, and unattainable love." He nods looking at all the flowers in front of us. 

"You seem to know a lot about roses." I shrug staring at the Lavender ones. "Just a little." He chuckles lightly. I just stared and he grinned looking back. It felt like one big whirlwind, one big emotional whirlwind. He grabbed a handful of blacks ones and my eyes widened. He showed them to me and I just stared at them gulping. "I need these." I held out my hand grabbing them. Walking to the register I began counting them. He got 10 in total, and they are 2 dollars each. "Are you a new customer?" He nods taking something out of his pocket, "Yes, I am." I nod and pull out some different vases. "Since you're new I have to tell you about a membership and all that. You get discounts and all that fancy stuff." He took out his wallet and nodded, he set the wallet on the counter. "Alright, I'll sign up I guess." I smile while opening the computer and go to the sign up sheet. I turn the computer around for him to see it, "Just fill out this information." He reads over all of the questions. He gave me a confused look so I walked over to where he was and began helping him. A minute goes by and Darla walks into the room watching me talk to Five about everything. Yes that's his real name, it's weird but whatever. Darla jokingly shoves me out of the way. "You don't even work here." Five looked at me and I smiled a bit shrugging. "And I still do better than you." Darla acts offended. "He's already signed up and all that. He just has to pay." I wave bye to Five and walk out of the store, a few seconds later he tapped my shoulder and handed me a Lavender rose. He winked and my face started having a burning feeling. I tried to hold back my smile but I was too nervous. He smiled and walked away but that wasn't the last I saw of him, he came back almost everyday.

Over the next few days we got to talking. With every word I started falling farther and farther for him. He was so witty and so charming. He swept me off my feet, he made me laugh, he made me blush. No one could compete, it seemed too good to be true. We went on about 4 dates, and they were amazing. Every night I go to sleep thinking about him, us. I wanted to be with him, we clicked like Lego's or the clacking of tap shoes. It's been about 7 months of us knowing each other and everyday I fall farther and farther for him. I just don't know if it'll ever happen. I was at the flower shop when he walked in. I straightened my posture waiting for him to approach me. He said, "Hey." and I said "Hello, how's your day?" He said "Better now." with a smile. What a cliché but to be honest it made my day. I didn't want to fall but then I stepped right in, I looked up at his face and those eyes drew me in. It was too late for me and that's what we were, a simple cliché. It wasn't made to work but I wouldn't have it any other way. He was so witty and so charming. He swept me off my feet, he made me laugh, he made me blush. Oh no one can compete with him. 

He said "Hey." and I said "Hello, I gotta know, do you feel this way?'' He handed me a red rose with a delicate smile on his face. "Yeah I do but I was scared of what you might say." I showed him the red rose that was behind my back that I was going to give to him. His eyes lit up like stars in the night or fireworks on the fourth of July. He then proceeded to kiss me like he'd been waiting to do it for a long time. 

A silly cliché but that's okay. We're a little cliché but that's okay.