Unusual Meeting

It was a late, cold night when I had walked into Griddy's Doughnuts for my shift. I was greeted by a smiling girl who's name was Delilah. She was also my best friend and coworker. "Whoa would you look at that, you finally came to work early." she laughs out causing me to roll my eyes, putting my stuff down on the counter and sitting down. The doorbell goes off signaling a customer has come in. It was a tall boy with brown hair along with a suit and tie on, he sat down at the bar. Delilah looks at him then to me smirking and wiggling her eyebrows, I sigh playfully and throw a napkin at her. "Welcome to Griddy's what can I get you?" she asks with a fake friendly voice on. The boy looks at her "Black coffee." Delilah grabs a cup and begins pouring coffee for the boy as I set my head on the counter sighing. It was going to be a long, painfully boring night as perusal. "Do you want anything?" Delilah asks knocking on the counter making me lift my head, "No thanks." I responded with a loud groan.

I looked over at the boy who I would say was very attractive. I smiled, looking away so he wouldn't think I was creepy. Delilah and I start mouthing to each other about how cute the boy was. We heard him chuckle a bit so we looked over. He brings the cup up to his mouth, "I know what you are talking about." I whisk back and look at Delilah who was trying not to laugh. I scooted down one stool so that I was sitting next to him, "You come here often? I've never seen you before." I question him casually as he just stares at me. "I come here sometimes, when I was a kid I used to sneak out with my siblings and eat donuts till we puked. Back when this place wasn't such a shithole and that older lady worked here." he takes a sip of his coffee as Delilah spins around wiping her hands off. "Nice to know that you think my diner is such a shithole." she laughs leaning against the countertop. I get defensive, "I work here you know? Maybe you could go a bit easy." I laugh playfully just trying to keep the conversation going. He looked me up and down with a smirk, "Didn't think someone as pretty as you would work here." He spoke with such confidence, making me choke on air.

I get up taking off my coat and revealing the pink uniform, I hand the coat to Delilah as she sits where I was. "Want anything?" I ask as she throws the rag at me so I begin cleaning random things. "No thanks, so what's your name mysterious boy." she puts her head in her hand smiling at the boy. I turned the coffee pot on so that it would brew a new batch, looking at the boy who seemed different. "My names Five, Five Hargreeves." I raised an eyebrow confused because I knew that name from somewhere but couldn't quite tell from where. I shrug, "Well, it was nice meeting you F I V E. I have to go so have fun you two, don't do anything I would do." She winks walking out of Griddy's. I roll my eyes sighing, "Why's your name Five?" I ask sit down facing him with a smile. "Long story, pretty boring really." I breathily laugh a bit hearing a beep and getting back up. "Well, I have a lot of time so let's be bored together." I say looking into his eyes while pouring another cup of coffee for him. He shrugs a bit while drinking the coffee. "Well, October 1st 1989, forty three women gave birth but the weird part is they were not pregnant that day. I am one of those children.'' My breathing hitches because now I know why he seemed familiar.

"Told you it was confusing." he says like a cocky asshole, "Umbrella Academy, I remember watching you guys on the news. I even had a few actions figures and comic books." Five looked at me confused, putting his cup down, "You watched us on the news?" he asks hesitantly, I raise my eyebrows and laugh a bit. "I'm one of the forty three children, I just don't look like it. Technically I'm still 18." I smile looking at him as he smiles back but yet he was still confused. "Wait, what happened to you?" I ask, shaking my head, he should at least be in his 30's yet here he was at 18. "I got stuck in the future for awhile and long story." I walk over sitting down next to him, "Handler?" I whisper hoping he would understand, he looks at me as his face softens. "How do you-" he begins asking but I interrupt him, "My names y/n, or the phantom. I worked for her for a while. I figured it was you because she would never shut up about your little school boy uniform." We smiled softly at each other as we shared stories and talked about things. From that moment on everything had felt complete, it was like putting the last piece into the puzzle you worked so hard to finish.

That was a few years ago, I reminisced about that day I had met my, now, husband Five Hargreeves. He was currently chasing our 'child' , well a dog in a onesie but that's not relevant. He smiles at me and I smile back at the love of my life. I go invisible, hiding behind the couch and he spatial jumps. We started chasing each other and playing tag with the dog. Five and I both got to him at the same time and busted out laughing after running into each other and falling onto the ground. We make eye contact unable to break it as we smile like fools, "Remember how we met in a shitty café by dumb luck?" I whisper leaning my forehead on his. "And it was the best accident of my life." He whispered softly, putting his lips on mine delicately. We love each other and always will but we all came to admit, it was such an Unusual Meeting.