Dad And an Old Drawing

For the rest of the summer, Jennie went out with her friends to enjoy everything they can before the semester started. They went to the summer exhibitions, music festivals, movies, house parties, drinks or just eat out together. She almost forgot about Jisoo.

Well, that was a lie.

Having fun at parties didn't as entertaining as it used to be, sometimes she wished she stuck in a traffic with certain someone rather than doing whatever she was doing that summer with her friends.

Meanwhile Jisoo spent the remaining days mostly with her dad. The next semester would be the first time she lived alone; the thought of leaving her father alone weighted her down.

That day, Jisoo and her dad went to her new student apartment. They brought some more home supplies that Jisoo might need. Her dad had prepared some home cooking for Jisoo, her favorites, so she could store them in the fridge and reheat them later for her meals.

"The meals can last for a week." Her dad informed while storing the food in the fridge, "Also, I asked your aunt to make this much kimchi so it can last for a month."

Jisoo responded as she put down the portable heater next to her bed. She had told her dad that the housing provided the heater to its residents, but her dad insisted that she had to have an extra, just in case nights in winter would be too cold.

"Do you have enough spare blankets?"

"Yes, they're in my cupboard."

Her dad walked towards her tiny cupboard; he saw it was neatly arranged.

"I'm sorry I was too busy when you were moving in," her dad sad regretfully, "I only have time now, two days before your semester started."

"It's alright, dad. I got a lot of hands and I didn't want to bother you." She meant it.

Her dad wasn't physically strong, he looked older than his age, though his handsome figure couldn't be buried by his tired look. She had a sudden flashback of their difficult years where her dad had to struggle to keep himself strong for the sake of his daughter.

"Well, I have this for you."

Her dad took out a wrapped box from his bag. A present.

"Did you wrap it by yourself?" Her dad always wrapped gifts by himself.

Her dad nodded and grinned, "Open it."

Jisoo shook the small box, it was robust and quite heavy for a small box. She unwrapped it and found a white mug inside. She observed it, there was a customized drawing on it.

It was her old drawing.

"Dad, you keep this drawing all this time?" Something bittersweet hit Jisoo right on the spot.

Her father nodded, a reminiscent smile plastered on his face.

Jisoo looked at the drawing on the mug. There was her and her dad. She was holding a red ballon and her dad was holding her hand. It showed their backs so she couldn't see their expressions but she still remembered the feeling when she drew it.

 It showed their backs so she couldn't see their expressions but she still remembered the feeling when she drew it

"I took the drawing to the gift shop and they printed that on the mug. Don't worry, the ink can stand the washing, so you can use the mug daily. It's not a display mug."

Jisoo looked closely to the drawing; it looked like little Jisoo and her dad was looking forward to a new start; facing behind what was in the past. Her chest was suddenly heavy.

"I kept it, because it reminded me that I have you by my side and this drawing always makes me a stronger person than I am," her dad paused, "You always have me by your side, Jisoo."

"Dad..." Jisoo tried to control her voice, "Thank you."

"There are things that I couldn't say to you when you were little. But... you've been a blessing to me, Jisoo. I am proud of you. All of your achievements, your independence and everything. Thank you for always working hard. But above all, I am simply proud of you for being my daughter. And to choose to stand by me; what a difficult choice you had as a child back then."

"No dad, you're always my home. My dad."

This is a beautiful drawing, Jisoo thought.

"I am proud of you too, dad."

Her dad hugged her, "Oh you're now a grown up. But you're always a little girl to me."

"I wanted to say I'm now almost as tall as you but then I remember I'm not that tall after all."

They laughed.

"Also, aside from the mug, I've sent some more money to your account. Got bonus from the work trip. Please eat well, okay?"

"Thanks, you too eat well dad!"

"Let's go out for dinner? I have reserved a nice restaurant for us."

***