A basket of fruit

Jennie was at the narrow road, looking at a humble house she'd been to once. The place looked unbelievably peaceful as if last night wasn't the end of the world.

She hadn't slept since last night. After spending the night with Rosé in JNK Hotel, she took a shower and had her breakfast. Actually, she couldn't even remember what she did that morning. All she knew was that now she ended up in front of Jisoo's house.

She checked the time. It was ten. She stepped out of her car carrying a basket of fruit. Quickly she looked at her reflection on the car's window. Her hair was as perfect as always and her clothes were okay but her face was miserable. She tried to put a smile on but her sullen eyes betrayed her. She could only pray that Jisoo's dad didn't notice.

She knocked on the door and Jisoo's father opened it.

***

Jennie gave him the fruit basket and wished him a merry Christmas. In the living room, they had a chat about the winter sport and how cold this winter compared to last year. Jennie tried to follow the conversation but her mind kept coming back to Jisoo.

"She'll be here soon," Jisoo's father smiled at her sympathetically.

Jennie was embarrassed. Apparently, Jisoo's father could read her situation. She just gave him an awkward smile; relieved that he didn't dig in further.

After an hour, Jisoo was finally home. Dragging her steps into the living room, Jisoo stopped when she saw Jennie.

"Jennie?" she looked startled at the sight.

Jennie just stared at her, she was lost for word and felt a surge of embarrassment creeping on her cheeks, thinking about how desperate and miserable she might look like now.

Maybe this is a bad idea... Do I look like a miserable beggar right now? Will she send me home?

"Jennie came to wish us a merry Christmas," her father tried to help Jennie, "And she wants to see you."

Jisoo just stared at Jennie, wanted to say something she couldn't say in front of her dad.

"Thanks Jennie," she finally said, "My dad and I need to do some groceries today. Dad, we can go now-"

"I can go by myself today." came her dad's reply.

"But dad, I've promised-"

"Come on, my daughter," He smiled, "I can do it by myself. You should go with Jennie, she has been waiting for you for an hour. And the weather is nice today."

Jennie looked at him gratefully. She didn't dare to look at Jisoo in the eye. She fidgeted, nervous to hear from Jisoo.

"Okay, dad... Jennie, let's go somewhere..." Jisoo finally said.

***