A Locket

"Jisoo

"Jisoo... You look like you're about to dead and you're happy that you're about to dead," Lisa cocked her head, "Is it the caffeine?"

Jisoo looked pale and she had dark circles under her bulging eyes. She really resembled a walking zombie, but with a crazily wide grin plastered on her face. Her tired body couldn't contain her excitement, though. Lisa wondered why.

"Girl, you need to sleep. I'll take you home."

"No! Lisa, I'm going to the city!" Jisoo rebuked her.

"Chill!"

"Sorry... Come on! Walk faster! I drive?"

"No, I drive. I won't let a fucking zombie drive my car."

***

That day, Jisoo asked Lisa to take her to a rather upmarket shopping district where the designers boutiques and luxurious shopping malls were located. Lisa couldn't remember when was the last time she went here with Jisoo. Maybe never.

"Jisoo, what are we doing here?"

"Help me to find a jewelry store, Lisa."

"Are you going to buy fucking jewelry here???"

"Oh, there's one!" Jisoo strode to a nearby jewelry store. Lisa was stunned. She dragged her feet to follow her determined best friend. Maybe she had gone crazy after the exams.

Jisoo stopped in front of the shop nervously, she tidied up her hair before entering. A salesgirl with a fake smile welcomed her with an equally fake warmth in her voice. She looked at Jisoo from head to toe to assess if she was a potential customer.

Lisa wanted to go home already.

"Can I help you, miss?"

"Yes... I'm... I'm looking for a necklace... please."

The salesgirl was hesitate for a moment, then she ushered Jisoo and Lisa to their seats. In front of them was an exquisite collection of necklace.

"These are our necklace collection for young girls," she smiled, "Are you looking for something for yourself?"

"For a friend. She's my age." Jisoo replied while browsing the collection. Some of the necklaces had price tags on it and Lisa held her breath when she saw them.

"Jisoo, how much is your budget? Is this for Jennie?" Lisa whispered.

"A million won. Yes, it's for her." Jisoo whispered back.

"What the fuck???" Lisa almost screamed, "Why would you spend it on her?"

"Shhh, just help me find a good necklace, this is why I bring you here."

"They're wickedly expensive... But don't worry, I will help you if you need more money to buy one. You know what, I will rob this place with you if needed. Let's do this!!" Lisa said without thinking.

"Are you kidding me? I won't let anyone else invest on it. It's supposed to be special. From Jisoo to Jennie. You stay out of it. And stop obsessing over La Casa de Papel, we're not gonna rob anyone today."

The girls continued whispering to one another and apparently the salesgirl heard their conversation. Her face was softened a little and Lisa caught her smiling for a second.

"Miss, may I suggest you to take a look at our pedant collection, assuming that your friend has the chain already."

"That's a great idea!" Lisa exclaimed, she dragged Jisoo to the pedant collection.

A moment later, Jisoo pointed at a heart-shaped locket pedant, her little finger was tapping the display glass excitedly. The pedant looked simple but there was something about it. It had a clear facade framed with a solid yellow gold. Pure and shiny, that was a masterpiece.

"Oh, a classy choice." The salesgirl approved. She took out the pedant from the display and presented it in front of them.

"One can wear it just as it is, classic. Or..." she carefully opened a secret clasp at its side, the locket was now opened, there was a chamber inside, "You can customize it by putting gemstones or charms inside. As a statement piece."

Jisoo gasped, her glazed eyes now turned sparkly.

It is perfect.

"May I?" she reached out to touch the pedant.

"Sure."

Jisoo examined the pedant, the clear part was made of a handsome translucent glossy stone. The gold was so polished, it reflected all the lights brightly to its surrounding.

"The clear part was made of a flawless sapphire crystal. This piece uses 14kt gold."

"Woah... This is stunning!" Lisa appreciated the locket, "How much is it?"

"3.8 million won. Before tax."

Jisoo quickly handed it back to the salesgirl, who looked at her with a pity. Jisoo scanned the display once again to see her options, but then her eyes turned dimmed. She sighed.

"Do you have smaller size?" Lisa broke the silence. She saw Jisoo pouting, clearly she wanted the heart locket.

The salesgirl thought for a moment, then she said, "I think I have an alternative for you..."

***

Jisoo and Lisa went out of the store cheerfully, on their way out, Jisoo saw another customer, a young man, was looking at the same heart locket she just bought

Jisoo and Lisa went out of the store cheerfully, on their way out, Jisoo saw another customer, a young man, was looking at the same heart locket she just bought. He looked polished. His suit, his hair and his shoes were all gleaming. Jisoo wouldn't be surprised if he took the 14-karat one, large size, with the gold chain.

She smiled, seemed like everyone love the locket. It was indeed a good choice.