The Christmas Eve

"Jennie, what is this?"

Rosé pulled Jennie to the side, "Isn't it supposed to be our family Christmas dinner?"

Jennie's eyes darted around, she brought her cupped and colorless hands close to her chest, her voice quavered,

"Yes... what is this?"

"What are they doing here?"

"What... what are they doing here?" Jennie's thoughts were obviously disjoined, her eyebrows were twitching with worries.

She looked at Rosé for assurance, "Chaeng?"

Rosé sighed. This was Jennie's residence and this was her family's invitation; but apparently Jennie knew just as much as she did. Both girls were lost.

Rosé placed her hand on Jennie's shoulder, trying to calm her down. They were both glancing at the man who was having a conversation with Jack, sitting comfortably with a cocktail in his hand. He was polished; his hair, his suit and his shoes were all glimmering.

The festive Christmas lights and decoration and the bright pink color of the drink were just the complementary, signifying his charm. He carefully crafted a smile that shone the brightest in the room. And like a shot of vodka to Jennie's frozen veins, his eyes suddenly met hers; warm and dark.

It was Kim Jongin. The man that once left her.

 The man that once left her

***

Her mom never kept a secret from her, she just wasn't generally very good with it; so Jennie was wondering why her mom had said nothing about their family invitation to Jongin's family. Their Christmas dinner might be something casual, but it always signified the importance of their true alliance; and inviting his family was a bold movement.

While dining, Jennie tried to act as if nothing unusual, she would respond Jongin and his family briefly and politely. The parents kept the dinner casual, no business discussion so far.

"Jongin is now back in Korea." his mom said proudly, looking particularly at Jennie's direction.

"For good?" Jennie's dad responded with such enthusiasm.

"I'm currently working on my final report," Jongin smiled, "I still need to present my work and attend the graduation ceremony, Uncle."

"Time surely flies, doesn't it, Jongin?"

"It surely does!" Jongin let out a hearty laughter.

"That's a good news," said Mr. Park, "It's about time for the young man to contribute to his family business."

"Come to think about it, feels like it was just yesterday that Jack and Alice graduated."

The ambience was getting warmer and they were getting comfortable to discuss about Jack and Alice. Jack seemed enthusiastic to follow the discussion but Alice didn't say much. Jongin's parents tried to follow the discussion with much agreement.