Edward Tulane

Jisoo turtled her way to the bookstore. She loved to drive that way. Slowly and carefully. She enjoyed the echoes created by the car interiors because she could hear Jennie's voice clearly and she could hear even the breath of her words.

When they arrived at the bookstore, Jennie quickly picking up some random books to buy.

"Do you need all these textbooks?"

"Yuh. what about it..."

"No.. Just...," Jisoo observed the book covers, "Aren't they for undergrads?"

"I have to study extra miles you know."

"You pick books like you pick cereals."

"Shh just shut up."

"Oh I love this book." Jisoo stopped when they were on the children's corridor.

"A children book?"

"The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane."

"Jisoo, how old are you?"

"Older than you."

Jennie took the book and observed the cover, "What's good about this?"

"Once there was a princess who was very beautiful. She shone bright as the stars on a moonless night." Jisoo paused and looked at Jennie, "But what difference did it make that she was beautiful?"

Jennie felt a flush creeping across her cheeks; she looked up to Jisoo and searched something into her eyes; but then she realized that Jisoo was just quoting the book.

Jennie cleared her throat, "Nice quote," she added with a small voice, "Do you have any other quote?"

Jisoo thought for a moment, "Ah here is another one. And so Edward Tulane became Susanna."

Jennie knitted her eyebrows.

"The new owner of Edward, the rabbit doll, misgendered him. Poor boy."

Jennie frowned even deeper, "You're so bad at quoting the book."

She put the children's book in her cart.

"You will like it." Jisoo grinned.

"I doubt it since I'm not childish."

"So why did you take the book?"

"To prove my point. Come on, we're leaving..."

***